Re: Current UNLIMITED data plan...
amandapri82
Enthusiast - Level 2

I currently use a samsung reality which is listed as a 3g multimedia phone (some sites, INCLUDING samsung lis it as a smartphone)...

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Because Verizon Wireless lists the Samsung Reality as a multimedia phone, the data plans are coded differently then a smartphone data plan in the system. If you switch to a smartphone, you will have to select a tiered data plan.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

amandapri82 wrote:

I currently use a samsung reality which is listed as a 3g multimedia phone (some sites, INCLUDING samsung lis it as a smartphone)...

Actually, the Samsung site DOES NOT list it as a "smartphone", but only a "cellphone".

For example, the Galaxy Nexus is listed as "Galaxy Nexus Android Smartphone", the Charge as "Droid Charge Smartphone", the Reality as "Samsung Reality Touchscreen Cell Phone"

0 Likes
gmannrph
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am in the exact same situation.  And have been told the same thing.  I am now trying to upgrade from my droid incredible to a razer max. No one can say my droid is not a smart phone but now being told my plan is not compatible with the new phone.  I currently have 5 phones and a Mifi from Verizon, I am paying $250 a month for the phones with only one with unlimited data.  That is with a 15% corp discount  For that price I can switch to someone else and get data for everyone.  I have 3 of the phones off contract now.  I guess I will just switch them and do the other two when they come up.

I have always been a great believer that Verizon is the best carrier with the best coverage.  I am not pleased to work with a dishonest company though.

acraftylady1
Contributor - Level 1

It was well talked about all over these boads before they went to tired data that this is how it would work going from a multimedia phone to a smart phone after the fact you would loose unlimited data so you needed to do it before they went to tiered data.  If you go to AT&T it was the same and they no longer offer new customers unlimited data either.  Mary

gmannrph
Enthusiast - Level 2

I chatted with a service rep and they actually say I can gut unlimited data it I want.  After buying the phone online I just need to call customer service before I activate it and they will continue the unlimited data since I had a smartphone before.  I guess I accused them incorrectly.  We will see if it actually works.  I told the rep that sounded upsafe. She admitted she agrees and will be upgrading her phone soon and is a little worried if it actually works.

0 Likes
acraftylady1
Contributor - Level 1

Yes if you are going from smart phone to smart phone you keep unlimited data but if you are going from a  multimedia phone to smart phone then no you can't keep it.  Mary

0 Likes
thrstonlovi
Enthusiast - Level 2

<Comment deleted per the > are eliminating unlimited data UNLESS we want to pay FULL PRICE for an upgraded phone.  My contract expires in August 2012 and my wife's contract expires in May 2013.  We're already gone because Verizon (like every other greedy company) chose profits over people.

<Attacking another user and use of inappropriate language is not permitted per the Terms of Service.>

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
jakedjohnson
Enthusiast - Level 3

I actually just inquired about this the other day (Friday)...I am VERY attached to my unlimited data, and was worried that upon upgrading, I would lose my unlimited. (I have had 3G unlimited for a couple years).  Talking to countless people, and researching forum threads, I was still confused...so I chatted online with a rep, and they confirmed with me that upgrading from my 3G smartphone will not remove my unlimited data (even when moving from 3G to 4G LTE with sim)  So I did the online upgrade for a razr, and I am waiting to activate tomorrow. (currently the phone is at the FedEx location in my city, but alas it's Sunday, THE PAIN!)

Stinks about the "multimedia" data thing, sorry to hear.

0 Likes
Not applicable

When you activate your new phone, you may have to choose a tiered data plan.  If you do, call *611 as soon as you have activated your phone and have them reinstate your unlimited data.  If you are not totally comfortable with that, call *611 and have them activate it for you and reinstate your unlimited data.

0 Likes