Re: Basic phone that will work after 12/2019
mama23dogs
Legend

@bewilder wrote:

The Dura is larger in every dimension, and weighs a whopping 60% more than the Gusto.  

I paid $12 for my Gusto brand new. 

the Exalt is also over 4" long...

We are going backwards now, from smaller and smaller to bigger and bigger.

Newer phones are more expensive.   More durable phones are bigger and heavier because they have a shock absorbing exterior.   

And what makes you think changing carriers is a solution?   At&t is offering 3 LTE basic phones.  

Sonim.  4.4” and over 6 ounces  $190

Cingular 2. 4.1 inches and over 4 ounces

So it’s the same story, lesser coverage.   It’s time to adjust to the reality and accept change is coming.  Changing carriers will only delay the inevitable.  

0 Likes
FOREVERMAN

Hmmmm I am under the impression that any phone even the old bag phones are to be able to call 911 by law even if not activated. This means that CDMA phones should still work because Verizon under that law would still have to support CDMA. Activation just won't be available. I do know that Verizon stores have been saying that activation of CDMA phones is not possible for awhile. But I have activated a CDMA phone just recently myself. So who actually tells the public the truth anymore is a better question to be answered.

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

That’s not what the law says.   It provides free access, no service plan required.   It doesn’t require networks to keep antiquated technology just for the odd 911 caller who doesn’t own a phone from this decade.   Users will need a phone capable of connecting to the existing network.   At&t shut 2g, Verizon is shutting CDMA.  Phones not capable of LTE or 3g/HSPDA will not have 911  ability  

Analog, pre 2008, no connection possible.  https://www.wral.com/analog-cell-phone-users-won-t-be-able-to-call-911/2412584/

So, no, once CDMA is shut down there is no network for CDMA only phones to connect to.   Just as old 2g phones can’t connect if there is no 2g network.   Those old phones may have 3g/HSPDA and connect to at&t or t-mobile

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend
0 Likes
hearmenow123
Enthusiast - Level 3
There are some new Android phones coming on the market with keyboard. Will Verizon change their policy to allow an Android phone to be activated without data plan?
0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

If you mean a smartphone, no.  At&t will only allow smartphones on prepaid without a data plan.  

The only phones I’m aware of with physical keyboard is the Blackberry key two, which will work on Verizon and requires a data plan. 

0 Likes