Back Up Assistant freezes on LG Cosmos3 - anyone else have this issue?
T2G3

Let me share my experience. To save money, I did not renew my contract plan and went with two prepaid basic phones. (the LG Cosmos3)  Within two days, I knew there was a problem. When the back up assistant would try to execute a scheduled backup when the phone was in a locked mode, the application would freeze and not complete the process. If the backup ran at night, the screen would remain frozen until I would discover it in the moring and unlock the phone and press clr or end. Upon accessing the on line community, I noticed another user describing this same issue. I called Verizon customer support and explained my issue. She put me on hold and returned to the phone stating she had consulted IT. The indication was that IT was aware of this issue.... what ashame my local store didn't mention that to me as I was paying $122.74 to buy the phone, accessories, and prepay for the first months use !  It was suggested I try to uninstall then reinstall the backup app. I was told if that didn't work, then I should take the phone to Best Buy and have the Geek Squad reflash my phone. (despite the fact that I bought the phone directly from my local Verizon which the rep knew)

I then drove to my local Verizon store and shared the info given by the customer service technician I spoke to on the phone. The in-store employees had never heard of this being an issue !  The store employee then showed me that on pre installed factory software, there is no uninstall option choice to unload the app. He then took my phone to the store manager to check and see if there was any software upgrades available which there was not.

Leaving the Verizon store unsatisfied, I then went to Best Buy where it was suggested they could do a reflash. When I told this to the in store employees, they told me they can only flash Samsung products not LG at BestBuy.

I then drove back to my home to recontact Verizon by phone. I explained the situation to another customer service rep which told me we should try to reset the backup app. She had my go to my installed Backup app, go to the "About" option on the app, and dial  *73738#  .  If this doesn't properly reset backup assist to where it no longer freezes while the phone is in locked mode, I will have no choice but to turn auto lock off so the phone can run the app. Otherwise, I will be waiting until Verizon/LG develope a patch for a fix.

It is just frustrating to pay for a product with a known compatibility issue. Once you leave the store and they have your money, Good Luck !

I was told by the Verizon customer service rep if I was discouraged with the phone and wanted a different model, I would have to talk to LG to see if they would send me another phone of a different model without the compatibility issue.... apparently that is not Verizon's problem.

It just seems unreasonable for this phone to continue to be sold until these issue are resolved... or should I say it seems disrespectful ?

Todd

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Back Up Assistant freezes on LG Cosmos3 - anyone else have this issue?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi TG23,

Oh no! A freezing device is no good. I know how important it is to have a properly working device at all times. Let's get this resolved. First, I want to say Thank You for your patience and time with troubleshooting this issue. If your device is freezing when this application attempts to complete a backup then the software could be corrupted. I would complete a Hard Reset on the device to repair any software that is not working properly. Menu>Settings &Tools>Phone settings>security>phone lock code>restore>press okay. This will reset the phone back to factory standards, please make sure to complete a backup of your information before restoring.

Thanks,
PamelaF_VZW
Tweet us @vzwsupport

0 Likes
T2G3

PamelaF_VZW

If I go thru the process to restore my phone as you suggest, it gives me a warning that after that process my phone will need to be reprogrammed.... can you give further instructions on how to do that after the restore process please.

I am a bit doubting as to why my software would be corrupted and why it will benefit to restore the phone. This phone has had this issue since day 1 when it was taken out of the box and activated by in-store Verizon employees. It would appear that this software issue has existed at the factory level when the phone was produced?

My other frustration is the inconsistant answers I have gotten from Verizon support both verbally and online.

1) At the national call center I was told to uninstall then reinstall BackUp. When I consulted my local Verizon store, I was told that factory installed software cannot be uninstalled making this recommendation useless.

2) Again on a verbal basis by Verizon support, I was told to take the phone to BestBuy to have the phone reflashed. When I got to BestBuy, despite buying this phone directly from my local Verizon store, I was told that BestBuy can only reflash Samsung products.

3)Verbally by Verizon support, I was told to dial *73738# to reset BackUp assistant

None of those items have worked. I am now experimenting on my own to see if I turn off the keyguard auto lock at night, if that will allow BackUp to run and complete successfully.

4)Another time when I called Verizon support, It was eluded to that IT knows about the issue and is working on a fix. If that is the case, how frustrating that this phone is actively being sold to un-suspecting customers despite having a known software issue.

******Are you able to verify if IT is aware of this software issue and if or when will a software patch be available ???****

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Yours are valid concerns to have, T2G3! It's true that a factory reset will purge all user-added data from your device, and you're quite right to want to know more about that procedure before committing to it. Before performing a factory reset of any wireless device, you have to consider what the device can carry. Pictures, music, videos, personal contact lists/phone book, call & messaging history, and custom applications. Many of these things can be preserved by installing a Micro SD expanded memory card, and then relocating the data to the card. That will work for your media (music, video, pictures if any). Your contacts can and should be backed up through Backup Assistant. You can confirm that they're up to date by logging into My Verizon. http://bit.ly/xB4iTc

The model phone you have does not possess the ability to preserve or transfer your call & messaging history or applications (if any), so they will be lost in the event of a factory reset. I hope that helps!

DionM_VZW
Follow us on Twitter www.twitter.com/vzwsupport

0 Likes