why after my phone updated my texts are now using data
Chaos24

My phone updated a couple months ago and ever since my texts are using data.   All my group messages are using data also and showing up on my bill as video/picture message.  I have done nothing different than before the update and my data keeps going over now.  What can I do?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: why after my phone updated my texts are now using data
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
Sorry to read about the trouble with messaging. You will need to have cellular data on for MMS and Group messaging. This is an Iphone right? MMS is multimedia messaging and that is with the addition of either a sound ,video,picture files. It will also increase your text character limit as well.  Group messaging Defaults to the same category, These types of messages will need access to our data networks. imessage can be used on wifi as it is Apples messaging service. I hope this information helps you. Have a great day. I like your work Snn5.
BobbyN_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

View solution in original post

kbumga

I have the same problem; I do not get group texts and photo texts unless I turn on cellular data.  Sometimes I do not get plain texts unless my cell data is turned on.  What gives here?

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

iMessage could be using your data.  Standard SMS/MMS does not use data.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
Sorry to read about the trouble with messaging. You will need to have cellular data on for MMS and Group messaging. This is an Iphone right? MMS is multimedia messaging and that is with the addition of either a sound ,video,picture files. It will also increase your text character limit as well.  Group messaging Defaults to the same category, These types of messages will need access to our data networks. imessage can be used on wifi as it is Apples messaging service. I hope this information helps you. Have a great day. I like your work Snn5.
BobbyN_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!
Chaos24

I've never had to turn the cellular data on or off since I got the phone (it's always been on) and never went over 2 gigs per month.  I have been in a constant group message.  Could this be because of the ios 8.3 update??  It started about the same time.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
Oh my, I would also be concerned if text messages were using data Chaos24. What update did you recently install on your phone? Are you using standard text messages or iMessages? When you notice you are being billed data for text messages are the text bubbles Blue or Green? Besides the recent software update, did you install any new third party apps to your phone?

Thank You,
MichelleS_VZW
0 Likes
Chaos24

I tried turning off cellular data and not one text came through regular or group.  I am using standard text and iMessages both.  The bubbles are blue and green.    I am being billed data for regular text messages but they are showing up as message/video messages.  What is a third party app??

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
Sorry for any confusion with our replay Chaos24. A third party app would be something like Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat, etc. There could be something that may be interfering with the text messages on your device. Have there been any recent changes to the device?

ErinW_VZW
0 Likes
Weth
Legend

Data is required for all iMessages and any Text messages that are long or contain any graphic items since they are then are sent as MMS, which will only go over cellular data. Additional, group text are also sent MMS from the data I reviewed.

Do you have wifi to connect to? That will fix your iMessage issue with data off but not MMS messages.

0 Likes