Re: iphone, sold as new, but contains refurbished parts??
Fakestock
Enthusiast - Level 2

The phone had both the original manufacture (Apple) 1 year warranty and AppleCare which extended to 2 years (6/24/17). The replacement phone warranty expires in October 2015. This lead me to me believe the iPhone was activated with Apple. Apple denied service / replace my phone dur to,"aunthorized modication i.e refurbished phone".

I hope Apple will transfer my wife's current iphone 6 warranty to the replacement phone.

I never thought i have to go through this hassel.

0 Likes
Fakestock
Enthusiast - Level 2

I do hope this is over next week and the warranty is transferable. I had an appointment with Apple on Saturday next week. Keeping fingers crossed and hoping for the best.

The phone is still less than 30 days old. I wonder if there is any consumer protection law in Connecticut. I will certainly research my option and contact the BBB.

The replacement phone is considered as good as new but to me it is still used. I still have installment n theys phone to pay. Sigh....Apple and Verizon are pointing finger at rach other and i got stuck in between.

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

Agreed, and disturbing.

Is there anyway Apple can prove the phone was previously activated?  I should say, I am sure they can, but will they share that information?  If they have 2 activation dates on the phone, one pre-dating your 6/25 purchase, I think you have grounds to insist Verizon replace the used phone they originally gave you, with the NEW phone you paid for.  

I encourage you to pursue this.  Meanwhile, check Verizon's terms of service for how to dispute a problem.  It usually requires written notice within a short time.

Fakestock
Enthusiast - Level 2

Fedex delievered the relacement phone today. My wife iponed it up and found the phone has ding and scratches. How can verizon certified good as new. Any blind person can see small holes and scratches. This phone is 8 months old according to Applr IMEI warranty check. I don't want to accept this phone. This is unbelievable. I will give Verizon corporate office a call tomorrow.

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

None of this would fly with me.  Selling you a used phone to start is not acceptable.

send it back.  Rip someone a new one.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Something tells me it's a Apple mess up.  If it was refurbished the IMEI would have said so. You can't change the logic board without changing your IMEI. If that was in fact a refurbished logic board then the system would have kicked in 3 months from activation is all you have. That's why Apple probably took ownership when they found out their system said it should have a warranty longer than 3 months(or expired).

Fakestock
Enthusiast - Level 2

What the Apple Store claimed is the phone had non-genuiene Apple parts. They did not say what part was not Apple. The store manager was supposed to send me a detail report via email but he never did. Apple indirectly said they could not read the part barcode and this is typical of a refurbished device with parts replace. I will call the store to get the report with the exact part that is not Apple. Shouldni try another Apple store?

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

I am merely pointing out the warranty would have said so by a simple search through their warranty system. They could have told you as soon as you gave them the IMEI before you sent anything anywhere. Also to top it off if the IMEI of the new logic board(unofficial) wouldn't be in Verizon's system and wouldn't work on Verizon if that was the case. So they(Apple) realized it was their mess up and fixed it.

mama23dogs
Legend

Excellent points from our island tech expert! 

MY 2 cents are off on another tack.... Another customer had a very different problem, but after months of back and forth, filed a complaint with the BBB and got satisfaction in short order.  I don't often side entirely with a customer, but Verizon owes your wife a brand new phone.

I Wish the return period would go to 30 days!

0 Likes
Fakestock
Enthusiast - Level 2

All,

Thanks for the suggestions and responses. Here is an updatr and good news.

I returned the certified good as new replacement phone to Verizon. The phone was used and had 5 phones Apple warranty left on it. I can't transfer Applecare to the device and ended up cancelling it as the pirchase window is within 30 days period.

I had Apple re-check the phone with heating priblrms and Apple still go by their story....they could not scan one of the phone's part and voided the warranty.

After voicing my complaint to the Verizon wireless store manager and on the phone with him for 15 minutes he agreed to make an except to give me a new iPhone. I stopped by the store in South Windsor, CT yesterday and Chris came up to greet and shake my hands. My wife now had a brand new phone. Thanks so much Chris!

Verizon finally make it right. I lost sleep just becuase of all this trouble. Apple is really messup here. There is no doubt in my mind their scan tool could be at fault. Apple never indicate to me the part they can't scan. They can't deny warranty service just becuase some scanning tool can't read the part. Who's know if the part was defective leading to this issue. I am really dissappointed with how Apple store handle this situation. next time i try another Apple store in another city.