Re: iPhone drops calls when using wifi calling
mama23dogs
Legend

FastlinkNetworks wrote:

I have been having the same issue since coming to Verizon. After researching the issue I have determind that this problem is with firmware settings set by Verizon. All other providers when connected by WiFi calling will not autoswitch to cellular service resulting in dropped call when you leave the WiFi range. Verizon will switch to cellular when you leave the WiFi signal but will not reconnect when back when within WiFi range. Those of us that are in weak cellular areas will have frequent call drops because of this. If Verizon will program our phone to stay connected to the WiFi when the call is made or received this will no long be an issue.

1.   The problem is not unique to Verizon, it happens on any carrier, when ever WiFi and cellular are both available and neither is clearly superior.  

2.   Some find turning off LTE and WiFi assist help.

3.   This is a natural function of the phone, designed and programmed by Apple. 

4.   Not just iPhones either. 

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

FastlinkNetworks wrote:

If if you go in to airplane mode then connect to your WiFi this will solve your problem. Airplane mode will turn of cellular and your WiFi radio on your phone therefore you will have to go to your WiFi seting and reconnect to your WiFi. Please note: Going into cellular data and turning it off accually will only turn off cellular data only leaving you with cellular service still.

Ummmm...... this is the exact same solution provided by bassface a year ago. 

0 Likes
porticons
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello. We have been having the same problem for the last few months. iPhone X and 6S at home. The both started dropping calls at home. We use Wifi calling because we have poor service at home. When the phone receives a bar of service, it tries to switch to the cellular network but the signal is too poor and we lose call quality or the call drops. Have discussed with Verizon and Apple, both act like they've never hear of this problem and generically suggest to do a factory reset. This has not helped. Of note, our 6S can be placed in airplane mode and have wifi calling work quite well. The X will not use Wifi calling in airplane mode. Please release a patch that ensures the phone does not switch off wifi calling unless it receives consistency reliable cell signal.

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

As previously written, you can get a reliable connection for Wifi calling if your turn airplane mode on, then turn Wifi back on. 

You have to have Wifi back on to connect to Wifi calling. 

Some state turning ‘Wifi assist’ or LTE off made a difference. 

0 Likes
porticons
Enthusiast - Level 2

My iPhone X will not use Wifi calling while in airplane mode. I have turned

WiFi back on, and am connected. The “phone menu” is grayed out under

settings, and attempting to make a call gives an error stating that the

device is in airplane mode.

On Thu, Sep 27, 2018 at 8:21 AM mama23dogs <forums@verizonwireless.com>

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

Then your phone is defective.  Contact Apple.

0 Likes
MontanaKid

My iPhone call with WiFi assist got dropped within two minutes. I then made the call with my wife's Android Samsung and the call did not get dropped. So the issue appears to be the iPhone,  not the Wifi or ISP.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We want you to be able to maintain the phone call especially when you are using WiFi Calling. Let's ensure that you are able to stay connected. How long have you had this issue with Wi-Fi calling? Do you have WiFi Assist turned on? If so, please turn off WiFi Assist. Settings>Phone>WiFi Assist. Are you seeing WiFi Calling in the top left corner?JasperM_VZW

0 Likes
dbscalet

I am having the same issue with an iPhone XS Max. I have WiFi calling turned on and a strong Fios gigabit connection but my phone will not switch to WiFi calling mode. I have disabled and re-enabled WiFi calling to try and force the switch, tried it in airplane and not in airplane mode, disabled the cellular antenna, and tried restarting my phone. Somedays it works but I regularly lose this connection across both the 2.4ghz and 5ghz bands. My router is centrally located in my home and my phone is currently connected to the internet. I have an extremely poor LTE connection in my neighborhood. I just can’t get get or maintain a WiFi call. #help

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Let's work on getting the connection to stay. Did you get a chance to check the Wi-Fi Assist? Please go to settings > phone > Wi-Fi Assist and turn it off. Please keep us posted. DoloresK_VZW

0 Likes