Re: iPhone drops calls when using wifi calling
dlotrifbi

Thanks for sharing, but the fact that it is working for you does not help me resolve my problem.

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

The point of the post is it may not be a Verizon system issue and you should also look at your local setup. It is more than just a strong wifi signal. Voice over IP is very sensitive to other network components over wifi signal strength - overall network speed (rarely a problem since requirement is quite low for VoIP), ping, and judder. Have you run your network connection through a VoIP test (not just a speed test)? Does it work on other wifi connections? If you force wifi only so you are on wifi calling only does it still not work or drop?

0 Likes
dlotrifbi

Well thanks, that's much more specific and helpful.  It's an intermittent issue that's usually resolved by restarting the phone.  I only notice it happening at home, not when I am at work, but I don't call out as much at work either.  So it's hard to do a foolproof test using wifi only.  I have Verizon Fios internet so I hope it would meet the qualifications, but I will try a VoIP test and see what I find.

0 Likes
dlotrifbi

So here are the results:

Download speed: 58 mbps

Upload speed: 63 mbps

Latency: 27 ms

Jitter: 0 ms

Another test gave:

Packet loss: none

Latency: 85 ms

Jitter: 1ms

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

Certainly not your network connection to the external World with those numbers.

You said this happens in the basement. Is your wifi router in the basement also or upstairs? Basements are notorious for dead spots when the wifi router is not in the same area. Consider an app like wifi sweetspots to map out the wifi functionality throughout the basement.

Testing wifi calling function in other areas of the home and with other wifi locations around town would be interesting to see if the same thing happens.

0 Likes
VLASHA68
Enthusiast - Level 2

So My issue was resolved with latest iOS update. I still see that my cell switches between VZW WIFI and Cellular but the calls are no longer dropped. Dlotrifbi what iOS version are you running?

0 Likes
bassface
Enthusiast - Level 1

If you're in an area that has both a Wi-Fi network and a weak cellular signal, sometimes your Wi-Fi calls will fail. Looks like it’s a result of the phone trying to connect to the cellular network instead of sticking with Wi-Fi.

A solution that has worked for me is to disable the cellular option. I hadn’t seen how to turn off cellular calling, finally stumbled on the answer. It’s a bit clunky but has worked out pretty well so far. Using the iPhone Control Center (accessed by swiping up from the bottom of screen OR Settings > Control Center):

Turn on Airplane Mode. Cellular and Wi-Fi will both be turned off. Turn Wi-Fi back on. Cellular is now Off, Wi-Fi (including Wi-fi calling) is on.

maniacal

you know y u cant see it? cuz this "helper" is a moron. Its under cellular setting at bottom of page! with help like this is it no wonder we cant get **** done?????

0 Likes
FastlinkNetworks
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have been having the same issue since coming to Verizon.  After researching the issue I have determind that this problem is with firmware settings set by Verizon. All other providers when connected by WiFi calling will not autoswitch to cellular service resulting in dropped call when you leave the WiFi range. Verizon will switch to cellular when you leave the WiFi signal but will not reconnect when back when within WiFi range. Those of us that are in weak cellular areas will have frequent call drops because of this. If Verizon will program our phone to stay connected to the WiFi when the call is made or received this will no long be an issue.

FastlinkNetworks
Enthusiast - Level 2

If if you go in to airplane mode then connect to your WiFi this will solve your problem.  Airplane mode will turn of cellular and your WiFi radio on your phone therefore you will have to go to your WiFi seting and reconnect to your WiFi.   Please note: Going into cellular data and turning it off accually will only turn off cellular data only leaving you with cellular service still.