iPhone 7 not connecting to LTE after using overseas SIM
akc713

I have not been able to get my phone to connect to LTE for the last several weeks. Last month I was in Japan for 2 weeks and while I was there I had a data-only Japanese SIM card in my phone from the Japanese carrier bmobile. To use the SIM card, I had to install a profile, which I deleted when I returned to the US and re-inserted my Verizon SIM. Since then, however, my phone has not been able to connect to LTE. It alternates between 1x, 3G, and No Service when I am not on WiFi. Occasionally, LTE will show up in the service bar, but when I open Safari and try to load anything, I get a "Could not activate cellular data network" error message popping up, meaning the LTE isn't actually connecting.

I have already been to a Verizon store to have the SIM replaced. Tried resetting Network Settings dozens of times. Also tried resetting phone to factory settings and restoring from iCloud as well as resetting and restoring from iTunes. I've spent hours talking to Verizon support, Apple support, and scouring forums across the web about this issue. Verizon and Apple have been useless. After like 2 hours on the phone troubleshooting, they "escalated" it to their "highest support team" and the best they could suggest is that I use Wi-Fi calling *eyes roll all the way to the back of my head*. Apple's solution is to reset to factory. It seems to me that this is a known issue (have found several threads with people describing this same problem) but there are few working solutions beyond restoring the phone to factory settings and starting from scratch (ie without restoring from backup). Incredibly frustrating that neither Apple nor Verizon has done anything to make this easier to resolve.

This thread is the closest I've gotten to finding a solution/also exactly describes my problem: https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2690435 

Unfortunately, when I try to install a profile using the Apple Configurator 2 method described, the profile fails to install. I am at my wits end. I can live with just 3G service for now, and I've disabled LTE on my phone so it doesn't even attempt to connect to that (because when it does it ends up getting stuck on No Service and I have to restart the phone).

Has anyone experienced this issue and found a solution besides factory resetting with no backup? I'm not really willing to do that because I don't feel that I should have to lose all my data beyond photos/contacts to fix what I think is a relatively simple issue (messed up carrier/APN settings). Would appreciate any insights.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: iPhone 7 not connecting to LTE after using overseas SIM
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Being able to use LTE is a must. We are here to help Akc713. With regards to Apple Configurator, this is a specific function that is handled directly through Apple. You must work with Apple with regards to this App. You can reach out to Apple directly here: http://spr.ly/6583DfKwb

We do appreciate everything that you have tried with replacing the SIM card, resetting the Network Settings including restoring your device. Have you tried to restore your phone and set up as new without putting your information back on the phone?

Alberto_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question, please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
akc713

Hi, like I said in the OP, I have tried restoring and setting up as new phone, and it does connect to LTE that way. However, as I mentioned, I am not willing to continue with the phone that way because I don’t feel that I should have to lose most of the data on my phone to resolve a known (although admittedly probably rare) issue that should have a better solution than having to erase the whole phone except for photos/contacts.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

akc713, I understand your concern when it comes to not losing your media. I am here to assist. Let's work to get to the bottom of this. We will need to clarify some key details. What happens when you try to restore your backup? If this issue is occurring only when you restore your backup there is something that is being restored back on your device that's causing this to happens. To guarantee use of your device I would recommend setting up as new as we can't guarantee that your device will connect to the network if you are restoring the backup.   

Justin_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
akc713

The issue persists when I restore the backup. If I do not restore it (ie if I ser it up as a new phone), then it connects to LTE. I already know that it is some kind of setting that is being restored with the backup that is causing the issue to persist, as I indicated in my original post. I would like to find a solution that allows me to isolate whatever setting in the backup is causing the issue and address that rather than having to wipe all the data from my phone. Based on my issue, this is a known issue, and there should be a solution that doesn’t require me to delete everything.

0 Likes