Re: Why has data usage increased exponentially out of the blue?
Bengi010
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm just throwing in my 2 cents because I have been struggling with ridiculous data usage on my wifes iphone 5s and I think I may have found the culprit.  Believe it or not it isn't Verizon, though you can keep bashing them if you want.  For me anyway the data hog is Facebook.  It had consumed almost 5Gb of data in the last month or two.  From what I've been able to learn it looks like they have a new feature that preloads all the videos that you come across so they play smoothly.  This of course eats up huge amounts of data and the fact that this setting is turned ON by default is purely criminal.  To turn it off go Settings then scroll down to Facebook then go into the Facebook Settings and turn off auto play or turn it to wifi only (As it should be set to by default by all logic and reason but is not).

Of course if you really do have all cellular data turned off then that fix isn't going to help.  There is also tons of documentation on the net about the new iphones using cellular data even when connected to wi-fi (just google it).  Apparently it's some kind of glitch and Verizon has said that people effected by this won't be charged for the extra data usage...but good luck proving it.

SP5S
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am having the exact same issue, where data usage is doubling, even though we are doing nothing different - and using WiFi where available even more so.  What is going on???

jules4135
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks I am going to try making your recommendations to the FB settings.  Ridiculous!!  I am on wi-fi 90% of the day and this is driving me nuts!

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello SP5S!

Let's get to the bottom of this once and for all. Thanks to Bengi010 for your contribution. I'd like to add to that, if I may.

The 4G iPhone devices are a little different, by design, from the manufacturer. When using Wifi, if the device goes to standby mode (when the screen goes blank), cellular data is used by default. So, when using Wifi, please go to settings/cellular/cellular data and turn it off. This way no cellular data can be used when in Wifi, even if the device goes to standby/sleep mode.

Thanks!

ChristinaB_VZW
VZW Support
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

Jiminraleigh
Contributor - Level 2

Seems as well though the only practical answer is an unlimited data plan

when using an IPhone....otherwise you will be babysitting your phone all

the time. If Verizon refuses to grant you a plan that is compatible with

the phone that they sold to you.... It is time.to change.something - either

the phone or the provider. Based on the comments on this site....iPhone

and a simple.10.gig plan are.not compatible without extensive intervention

on.the phone owners part. Good luck in your decision.

On Jul 4, 2014 4:19 PM, "Verizon Wireless Customer Support" <

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

jules4135 We want you to enjoy your phone! Wifi connection definitely helps save data as long as your wifi does not drop connection. Once your try adjusting the facebook settings as mentioned by Bengi010 also go to settings, cellular and disable cellular data (if you haven't tried this step yet). We se others mentioned having the cellular data off and this issue still occuring but if you run into the same problem we can escalate a ticket. Please keep us posted.

Sheritah_vzw
Follow us on Twitter
@VZWSupport

0 Likes
sjmom
Enthusiast - Level 1

We have also experienced this same problem. A sudden substantial increase in data usage by our one i-phone. Beyond frustrated.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Sjmom,

Lets make sure your data usage is where you want it! We need to identify what is using all of this data to figure out how to stop it. Although Verizon does not support technology to track exactly what uses your data, apps in the App Store like Onovo Count Free can track this usage and provide you with the info we need.

SarahO_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Leenmorse
Enthusiast - Level 1

I too have seen a significant increase in data and have had to increase my plan twice. It is getting out of hand. We are using far too much for the amount the phones are in use. I work 10-15 hour days and don't use the phone while at work and still seeing data run out in less than 10 days.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Leenmorse,

Let's make sure we find the root cause of the data usage. If you have Facebook or Instagram, the applications now have the feature to Auto Play videos. You can go into your application and turn off Auto Play.

RobinD_VZW

Follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes