Why do I have no service after upgrade to ios10?
CJSDTW
Enthusiast - Level 1

Since upgrading to iOS10 on the iPhone 5, I have no cellular service. I have tried all the suggestions I’ve found on line (airplane mode on/off, cellular data on/off, take out sim card etc) and while it no longer says “no service” there is in actuality no service--I can neither place, nor receive calls. Since it is a PHONE this is a problem. Solutions, Verizon? Your FAQ elsewhere says there are no problems upgrading and this is clearly incorrect.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: no service after upgrade to ios10
CJSDTW
Enthusiast - Level 1

My phone is working again but no thanks to Verizon nor Apple. My wife managed to get it functioning. First she made a backup, even tho it was with the new iOS, then reset the phone in its entirety, then put the back up on the phone. She had to do it 3 times but it finally took. All the rigmarole about the SIM card and stuff did nothing.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello CJSDTW,

We definitely want you to have a great working device. Did this begin immediately after installing iOS 10? Have you tried resetting the network settings or resetting all settings on the phone? Below are links to both steps:

Reset network settings: https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-64531/

Reset all settings: https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-64524/

ChristopherM_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
CJSDTW
Enthusiast - Level 1

My phone is working again but no thanks to Verizon nor Apple. My wife managed to get it functioning. First she made a backup, even tho it was with the new iOS, then reset the phone in its entirety, then put the back up on the phone. She had to do it 3 times but it finally took. All the rigmarole about the SIM card and stuff did nothing.

0 Likes
Zeusal
Enthusiast - Level 1

The symptom for me on iPhone 5 on Verizon. After restart phone will show Verizon for service with 0 signal out of 5 dots and will eventually say No Service. Unable to receive or make calls or text messages.

Go into the following:

Settings -> Cellular -> Cellular Data Options -> Roaming

then turn OFF Roaming

As soon as exiting the setting I get signal and am able to receive and send calls. I believe your theory is correct, a bug in the handshake for the network is connecting to one of the roaming providers instead of actual provider. I'm currently leaving roaming disabled to prevent recurrence. Issue with that is remembering roaming is "disabled" when I need to roam, if the phone even can roam in this iOS 10 condition.