Why Am I Using Data In The Middle Of The Night?
2B1GMOM
Enthusiast - Level 2

[Branched from an earlier discussion: Data usage in middle of the night ]

I have an issue with one of our iPhone 6 devices.  Wifi Assit is Turned OFF, Automatic Downloads were ALL turned off... can't figure out which apps were doing this!  All apps were properly closed and at 3am, the phone is home being charged and connected to wifi!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Why Am I Using Data In The Middle Of The Night?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I appreciate you looking closely at your data usage, 2BIGMOM. I want to get to the bottom of this too. Data usage is generally gathered and reported to your online usage about every 6-12 hours, so the time stamp reflected on the usage in My Verizon may have been anytime within a few hours. Are you noticing this reported data on a regular basis? Was there any recent update to your home WiFi Router that may have triggered the router to restart?

Since you mentioned you’ve seen Facetime using the higher data, you can disable Facetime use over Cellular through Settings > Facetime > toggle Use Cellular Data switch Off. To discover if there are truly any applications accessing cellular data service while the phone is not in use, please go into Settings > Cellular > Reset Statistics just before bed. Then in the morning, visit Settings > Cellular again to see the applications listed and the amount of Cellular Data being used on each and let me know if you see any applications that reflect usage while you are connected to WiFi with WiFi Assist turned off.

JenniferH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

View solution in original post

Weth
Legend

As shown above, the phone will tell you which apps are using data.  What does it show?

0 Likes
2B1GMOM
Enthusiast - Level 2

I looked a few hours ago, FaceTime was using the most data

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

then that's your answer.  You must not have been on wifi when the FaceTime calls were made.  Remember the time stamp is not the time the data was used.  It is sometime in the period from that time, to the next later time stamp. 

0 Likes
2B1GMOM
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well, I’m not going to argue with you- but that’s incorrect!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

2Bigmom,I understand the concern with seeing data being used during the middle of the night, when your device is connected to wifi. It is normal for the device to use a very small data session during the night to refresh the device on our network. If the device was using a huge amount of data, that's not normal if connected to wifi. Please tell me how much data was used.

KatrinaN_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I appreciate you looking closely at your data usage, 2BIGMOM. I want to get to the bottom of this too. Data usage is generally gathered and reported to your online usage about every 6-12 hours, so the time stamp reflected on the usage in My Verizon may have been anytime within a few hours. Are you noticing this reported data on a regular basis? Was there any recent update to your home WiFi Router that may have triggered the router to restart?

Since you mentioned you’ve seen Facetime using the higher data, you can disable Facetime use over Cellular through Settings > Facetime > toggle Use Cellular Data switch Off. To discover if there are truly any applications accessing cellular data service while the phone is not in use, please go into Settings > Cellular > Reset Statistics just before bed. Then in the morning, visit Settings > Cellular again to see the applications listed and the amount of Cellular Data being used on each and let me know if you see any applications that reflect usage while you are connected to WiFi with WiFi Assist turned off.

JenniferH_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

2B1GMOM
Enthusiast - Level 2

I understand what you are saying, and I do appreciate your help! However, I don’t consider 1.01770 GB to be a small amount!

2B1GMOM
Enthusiast - Level 2

Not to mention several 0.09435 usage in the middle of the night add up. We nearly ran out of data this month. STILL trying to determine which apps are utilizing data in the middle of the night despite all the settings contradict updates etc. The phone is NOT in my son’s room. I figure this goes without saying, but with all the response, perhaps it must be said: this is the first time we’ve experienced this and we have 5 lines!

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

2B1GMOM, I can truly understand where you're coming from. I want to make sure that we do everything we can to get the data usage back under control. Are you only having issues with one line of service on the account? Keep us posted.

KevinR_VZW

0 Likes