VZW Call Filter supposed to be free as of March 2019
mijojo19

Hello, Verizon Wireless customers! 

This is my first post, but more importantly, I was under the impression that Verizon Wireless was supposed to offer their "Call Filter" program/app for free in March 2019.  I am still being billed for this and it hasn't really stopped the constant influx of ROBOCALLS from my area code and first 3 digit prefix and other numbers.

Anybody have some insight they'd share with me and any other persons being barated and bombarded with these robocalling scam artists?

0 Likes
Re: VZW Call Filter supposed to be free as of March 2019
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

I average a few bogus calls a week to my mobile phone. There isn't a whole lot that can be done as the scammers frequently change the numbers that they spoof. I just add the numbers to my phone's "Block List"...more like the "Do Not Disturb List". Older versions of Android OS (Lollipop perhaps?) used to allow users to "block" single telephone numbers, entire exchanges and even entire area codes. That ability was taken away in subsequent OS releases.

I, honestly, receive more junk calls on my landline as opposed to my mobile line. I installed an Avaya Partner ACS at home and let the auto attendant filter the good calls from the bad.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Robocalls are fast becoming everyone’s nemesis, mijojo19, so we truly understand the value in developing ways to prevent them. You’re already taking advantage of the Call Filter app, which is a paid app. As you point out, we will soon be offering the robocall blocking feature at no cost. The Call Filter app has many other benefits, so the app itself will remain a monthly subscription. Please continue to be on the lookout for the free robocall block feature. I’m also passing your feedback along to our leadership team.

In the meantime, dexman offered a great suggestion to add numbers to your phone’s “block list.” While it won’t eliminate the calls, I can also confirm that the call volume drops significantly using dexman’s suggestion of blocking numbers within your phone’s settings.

GeorgeS_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the “Correct Answer” button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
jgagnepain
Enthusiast - Level 1

April 1st and still no robocaller protection. Well, at least Verizon got good press for making the promise in public. I won’t hold my breath but I will be doing some service shopping.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

jgagnepain we would never want to lose you. I am sorry for any miscommunication. You are able to use the free version of our Call Filter and here is a link that will help: http://spr.ly/6608Eb9eu

Please scroll down to see "Free Spam Protection". We are working hard to enhance and improve this valuable tool. Does this help? Please let us know if we can assist further.

RosanneM_VZW

0 Likes
boringusername
Master - Level 1

@jgagnepain wrote:

April 1st and still no robocaller protection. Well, at least Verizon got good press for making the promise in public. I won’t hold my breath but I will be doing some service shopping.

Actually there is. Did you download the app?

0 Likes
MIKEPASTA
Enthusiast - Level 2

It's there but can be very misleading. 

To enroll in free features, open the app, tap the menu icon in the upper left corner / Account / Subscription Status / See other options / Yes. Go back to Block Management in the main menu to set up your spam filterand start auto-blocking spam calls. For details, see https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/how-to-use-call-filter or email them callfilter@vzw.com.

I found this info in the reviews for the app.

0 Likes
MIKEPASTA
Enthusiast - Level 2

FYI... Just found out that the Call Filter ONLY works on authorized (read LOCKED) Verizon phones. If you have an UNLOCKED phone from the manufacturer (like my Unlocked Samsung S10+), Call Filter from Verizon WILL NOT WORK. After being on the phone with Verizon for over an hour and speaking to 3 different people AND going to my local store twice, they FINALLY admitted that this app ONLY works with VERIZON LOCKED phones. Shocker... I know. Shame on you Verizon.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

MIKEPASTA, it definitely sounds like you have been well informed about the new and free feature. It is imperative that we be as clear as possible, so I am here to help add additional details on top of the helpful information you have supplied. All Apple iOS 10+ capable phones will work regardless of where it was purchased. On the other hand, all Android unlocked devices bought through the manufacturer and Google Experience Devices are not compatible with the Call Filter app. It is also important to note that all Verizon devices are unlocked the moment they are activated on our network.

AkaneM_VZW

0 Likes
MIKEPASTA
Enthusiast - Level 2

"It is also important to note that all Verizon devices are unlocked the moment they are activated on our network."

Not quite completely true. In fact, even unlocked phones brought to Verizon are partially locked by Verizon. I'll give you one example: Diagnostic Dialer Codes. They are blocked by Verizon as soon as you put the Verizon SIM in the phone and connect. I bought my S10+ from Samsung. Before I put my SIM in, I was able to access the dialer codes using the keypad. I'm sure you are familiar with them. For instance, entering *#06# immediately brought up my IMEI. All of the other codes worked fine as well. As soon as I put in the Verizon SIM and connected to my service, those codes no longer work. Even after taking out my SIM and trying it (even in Safe Mode), it no longer worked. I did a factory reset on my phone and tried it without the SIM, they worked again. As soon as I put my SIM back in, they were blocked. I went to my local store and the rep I talked with said that wasn't right. We called Tier 2 CS (while still at the store) and they said that yes, VZN does indeed block access to those dialer codes. They couldn't/wouldn't explain why as T-Mobile, Sprint & ATT do not block them. The rep at the store was quite dumbfounded on this. He said it didn't make sense. 

As far as the Call Filter app goes, will there come a time where VZN will let it be installed on unlocked Android phones? Is there a reason why VZN does not allow it on an unlocked device? I even checked into paying for the premium version, but found out that too is not compatible.

Thank you!