Promotions for loyal customers
PATOES97
Enthusiast - Level 2

I do not understand why a customer since 1997, owns her phone, but is not allowed to take advantage of the promotion to trade one Apple phone for the Apple 7.  I'm not asking to upgrade, I am asking for the same deal that you are giving to people who have not been a loyal customer.  My contract up on Dec 23, I still plan to honor and remain with Verizon, I don't owe anything on the phone itself but have been informed I'm not eligible for this deal because of my contract.  I don't want out of the contract.  If I upgrade, I keep my current phone.  I'm not asking to keep current phone.  I am asking to trade in my phone, plus pay $10/mo for two years--not for contract but because my phone an I-5 not an I-6, so I pay for two years to make up the difference.  Seems to me a more logical decision would be to explore my options of another service, one that will give me a deal for signing up with them........since my contract ends on 12/23/16 for that phone.  I could simply pay my other phone off and then take advantage of a deal being offered for new customers with a different company.  Doesn't make sense to me why Verizon won't allow a trade in from a loyal customer.  I've never even had an interruption of service....continued service since 1997.

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Promotions for loyal customers
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

Unfortunately "loyalty" isn't the issue. You aren't eligible because you don't meet the requirements of the offer. You opted to remain on 2 year contracts versus doing device payment plans or paying full retail upfront...likely because the contract option was more appealing to you. The tradeoff for that is that you aren't eligible for deals that require that you do a device payment plan (you can't because you haven't completed your contractual obligation) and that you trade in a phone that is eligible (which means it's paid off and is eligible for trade in. Subsidized phones are not paid off in full  the contract is completed). Ultimately it wouldn't matter what carrier you were with for any amount of loyalty time...they would tell you the same thing about these promotions. You aren't eligible. You were able to get your device for cheaper than full retail in exchange for being locked to it for 2 years unless a special early upgrade offer is extended to you. It would not be the same type of deal as these for DPP's of course...and you would be locked to that phone for another term. Where those that have opted for the DPP options are free to upgrade whenever they want if they meet the requiremments. For some it's paying 50% of the full retail of the device (i.e. The annual iPhone upgrade option). It's something to consider moving forward...if two year agreements are still beneficial to you or if you might want to consider moving over to the DPP option.

View solution in original post

lewisr13
Champion - Level 1

That's one of the big disadvantages of a contract. Next time to the device purchase program.

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

But your phone is not "paid for" until the contract expires.   The 2 year contract recoups the cost of the phone over 2 years.   Customers on device payments can pay off those separate charges to take advantage of the offer. 

0 Likes
MARGIELIBRA
Contributor - Level 2

You can't win with them. I for one been with them as long as you and I feel Im blacklisted cause I call so much. My phone is not coming until,the end of November and you never ever get a deal with them. We have three phones here through Verizon and the misses doesn't like change. Myself and her will be going elsewhere once the phones are paid up. We are done with them. My advice, go tomthe competition.

lewisr13
Champion - Level 1

I've only been with them since 2000. I've recently upgraded 7 of my lines on 3 different calls. Each time was able to get them to waive the $20 upgrade fee. When I asked them how they could help me out they responded each time with waiving the upgrade fee, "since you've been with us for so long". So to me when you ask for something reasonable they will do it for "loyal" customers. Especially if you're nice and patient.

0 Likes
MARGIELIBRA
Contributor - Level 2

Lewis you can be nice with these people all you want but saving 20 bucks for a loyal costumer since 1997 is not enough. They have made thousands on us. Give more back.

kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

Unfortunately "loyalty" isn't the issue. You aren't eligible because you don't meet the requirements of the offer. You opted to remain on 2 year contracts versus doing device payment plans or paying full retail upfront...likely because the contract option was more appealing to you. The tradeoff for that is that you aren't eligible for deals that require that you do a device payment plan (you can't because you haven't completed your contractual obligation) and that you trade in a phone that is eligible (which means it's paid off and is eligible for trade in. Subsidized phones are not paid off in full  the contract is completed). Ultimately it wouldn't matter what carrier you were with for any amount of loyalty time...they would tell you the same thing about these promotions. You aren't eligible. You were able to get your device for cheaper than full retail in exchange for being locked to it for 2 years unless a special early upgrade offer is extended to you. It would not be the same type of deal as these for DPP's of course...and you would be locked to that phone for another term. Where those that have opted for the DPP options are free to upgrade whenever they want if they meet the requiremments. For some it's paying 50% of the full retail of the device (i.e. The annual iPhone upgrade option). It's something to consider moving forward...if two year agreements are still beneficial to you or if you might want to consider moving over to the DPP option.

lewisr13
Champion - Level 1

MARGIELIBRA wrote:

Lewis you can be nice with these people all you want but saving 20 bucks for a loyal costumer since 1997 is not enough. They have made thousands on us. Give more back.

$140

dcline414
Enthusiast - Level 2

When they introduced these edge up plans they seemed like a horribly expensive way to always be upside down on your phone, always owing more than it's worth and forever making payments on the debt.  it was pitched as the plan to accommodate those who have to constantly upgrade to have the newest devices.

As a 15 year customer of Verizon, I have been very happy upgrading every 20 months and renewing my 2 year contracts.  But they used to give you a credit on top of the new customer price, so you paid less than a new customer... which makes sense because it costs them a lot to acquire new customers.  I wasn't thrilled they took that away, but adding fees for upgrading actually makes it more expensive to stay than change providers.  An iPhone 7 is $199, plus an extra $20 MORE than DPP ($40 vs $20), plus an extra $20 per month line access charge ($40 vs $20).  Add up just the extra fees and the $650 iPhone 7 costs $700 on a contract vs free on DPP with trade-in promo.

My wife just upgraded her iPhone 6 to a 7 for free with trade-in.  But I can't get the promo because I upgraded a few weeks after her and haven't reached the end of my contract.  Of course I'll never get a $650 credit for my phone now.  Clearly Verizon doesnt value loyal customers who don't always need the latest and greatest but eventually do like to upgrade every other year after the initial rush.

I'd say we're done with Verizon now, but I'm not sure we want to give up Verizon making the 24 monthly payments on my wife'a new phone.  I'll just get the best deal I can and overpay for my upgrade in a few weeks, then start saving up for switching costs when we leave Verizon in 2 years.  Finally run off by Verizon after being with them for 17 years at over $150 per month. [shudder]

PATOES97
Enthusiast - Level 2

i have two lines and with the latest one I am not in the contract.  When I got her line, I wasn't offered a choice.

0 Likes