Need Texts off a suspended phone.
arkainin
Enthusiast - Level 1

My phone was no longer available to me, and the line was suspended. I received a new number, and a new phone. I have since recovered the lost phone, but for various reason I need to keep my new number active. However, I have email account passwords that require texting ability on the old - not suspended line. Is there a way that I can temporarily re-activate my old line, get the password texts that I need, and then deactivate it again - without incurring penalties or extra costs?

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Need Texts off a suspended phone.
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

No, the old phone number was already assigned to someone else. Is there no way to go into the email account settings/profile and change the phone number associated with the account?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

No, the old phone number was already assigned to someone else. Is there no way to go into the email account settings/profile and change the phone number associated with the account?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Okay I reread that again. Is your old line still on your account or did you cancel it already?

0 Likes
arkainin
Enthusiast - Level 1

It's still on the account. I just don't want to re-activate to get hit by increased fees or something. Because the new line will still be active.

pherson
Champion - Level 1

IT all depends. Was the line actually cancelled or simply suspended as lost or stolen? If cancelled permanently then if within last last 90 days you can reconnect then cancel it again. It will be a hassle tho. On the other hand if suspended you can reconnect and reauspend but you still paying for it.

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

You can get the information off the old phone as long as it works.   No need to activate the line. 

IF you suspended the old line at a reduced rate, it's temporary.  After 90 days if becomes active again and full charges resume And are extended an additional 3 months. 

I Really would feel more comfortable if you spoke to support about the options you chose.

my additional concern:   I'm guessing  you added a line in order to get a new 2 year contract, or device payment plan for a replacement phone.   I'm just ball parking a $40 increase in your bill for 24 Months, or a total of $960.  And you still have to pay for the old phone and line.    I've seen this work around to buying a phone at full price, but it's an expensive option.

YOu should have picked up a cheap Gophone for cash till you paid off the old contracts could buy a new phone. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We never want you to lose your text messages. I know that can certainly cause problems. Let me confirm a  few details though. When you say you got a new number, do you mean you started a new line or do you mean you changed your number?  If you suspended your line, how long ago was it suspended?
MatthewT_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

arkainin wrote:

My phone was no longer available to me, and the line was suspended. I received a new number, and a new phone. I have since recovered the lost phone, but for various reason I need to keep my new number active. However, I have email account passwords that require texting ability on the old - not suspended line. Is there a way that I can temporarily re-activate my old line, get the password texts that I need, and then deactivate it again - without incurring penalties or extra costs?

What do you mean by "email account passwords that require texting ability on the old - not suspended line"? Is the old line "suspended" or "not suspended"? Do you have the passwords saved in texts on the old phone or are you trying to reset the passwords and you are being told a "temporary password" will be texted to the line on file in your account which happens to be the "old" line?

If the texts are already on the old phone you recovered, you can simply turn it on and look at them unless they had been erased. If they had been erased and were not backed up previously, you are out of luck.

If you are trying to reset a password by having a temporary password texted to the old line, it will have to be active in order to receive it.

0 Likes
Ldora2260
Enthusiast - Level 1

Actually you provided no information. To piggyback, I live in Bahrain for now, and suspended my phone for 3 months...I did it a few months ago, but apparently it did not take, and recently did it again, it worked.  I need my texts because I unfortunately used the suspended number for 2 step verifications...I can't get into apps or accounts now. If I turn my suspended phone back on, I will be walloped by group family texts that will probably download like crazy. Verizon does not have affordable coverage in Bahrain. So can I receive my texts via my computer, so that I can do two step verifications at least? Thank you. Please do not ask if my phone has been canceled. No, it has not. I am using another local phone in the current country.

0 Likes
Ldora2260
Enthusiast - Level 1

My comment was directed to Verizon Customer Service, not the helpful community doing there best to be responsive.

0 Likes