Help unlocking iPhone 4s
k_davis

Hello,

Could you help me unlock my iPhone 4S that we had with Verizon?

It's been out of contract now for over a year, and when my parents attempted to put a sim card in it over in New Zealand, they were told it was locked.

I understand that Verizon phones are all supposed to be unlocked based on the public information shared by Verizon, but this phone still appears to be locked.

They also have an HTC One M8 from Verizon that is working with the same sim card, so we know it's not an issue with the carrier or sim that they're trying to use.

Thank you,

Khai

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Help unlocking iPhone 4s
k_davis

Sorry, to provide more information. We're not Verizon customers any more as we've moved overseas.

When leaving the US we asked about unlocking our phones in a Verizon store, and were told that we wouldn't have to do anything.

Thanks

0 Likes
thejackster003

How did they tell you to unlock your phone?

0 Likes
k_davis

They didn't tell me how to. They said it would be unlocked already.

That's why I've posted in this forum to try and find out how it can be done.

Thanks.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello k.davis! We appreciate you reaching out here for support. This may help your family out with regards to unlocking their 4s, if they are still in New Zealand.

http://vz.to/1tacSmQ

There are details that highlight the unlock codes that can be used to get your 4s working globally.

Keep us posted!

NicandroN_VZW

Follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
k_davis

Thanks for the information NicandroN_VZW!

However, doesn't it state that the iPhone should already be unlocked?

"We do not lock our 3G devices, other than our non-iPhone Global Ready 3G phones, and the simple code to program such 3G devices for use with another carrier is either “000000” or “123456.”  If the user guide for your device does not provide instructions to access the programming menu, you can contact us at *611 from your Verizon Wireless phone, or (800)922-0204, for assistance."

If I have them try the codes above and they do not work, could you help me further?

Thanks again.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

K.davis,

I believe I can shed some light on this! In the past year we made a policy change to unlock our iPhone 4 and 4s. This required a software update to change some of the programming in the phone so it defaults to an unlocked status. If the phone has not been active on our service in the last year then it is very possible that it has missed this update. I am unsure of if the phone can be unlocked or not without that update. Please reach out to our Global Team at 1-800-711-8300 to find out if we can do this without the phone being in the USA.

SarahO_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

Yes, Verizon iPhones are unlocked, but will appear locked until you restore with iTunes with an old SIM card.

activate on new service with a new SIM card.  You may not get 4G LTE service on the phone.  Your new carrier may be able to help provision the phone for best service with them.

0 Likes