Global Services in Ireland
sharky10616
Enthusiast - Level 2

I will be leaving for Ireland in the next few weeks. I have read how to make phone calls to the US and to Irish phone numbers while there, once I activate a global plan. However, a couple of questions. How exactly do people in Ireland dial their cellphones to call me (format)? Do they get any extraneous charges, or whatever their plan calls for? How do people call me from the US, the same way they would if I was home? If they call me, do they incur charges outside of their normal plan, or is it as if I am in the states?

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Global Services in Ireland
Weth
Legend

People calling you dial as if you are in the U.S.   Charges are the same way. Someone in US gets domestic long distance or free, and those in Ireland get charged overseas rates to the U.S., even if you are sitting next to them at a pub in Ireland.  When you are called, the call in someway must come to the U.S. And Verizon to figure out where you are. 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

People calling you dial as if you are in the U.S.   Charges are the same way. Someone in US gets domestic long distance or free, and those in Ireland get charged overseas rates to the U.S., even if you are sitting next to them at a pub in Ireland.  When you are called, the call in someway must come to the U.S. And Verizon to figure out where you are. 

0 Likes
sharky10616
Enthusiast - Level 2

Wow.......not quite what I was hoping to hear, but it makes sense. Thank you very much!

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

Of course you could simply purchase a local SIM card, swap it for the Verizon SIM card currently in your phone and use that to make calls. Service will be dramatically less expensive than Verizon's exorbitant international rates and calls to numbers in Ireland will not incur international rates, rather local rates. Data rates would be much more reasonable, too.

You would have to give your contacts in the US your new number with the local carrier for them to be able to get in touch with you at the new number.

It takes a bit more work to get started, but you will save a LOT of money.Smiley Happy