Dissatisfied Asurion Customer - Get Apple Care
lucoz3

I have been a Verizon Wireless customer for over 5 years and currently have an iPhone 4s.  I recently dropped it and shattered the screen.  I called Asurion to inquire about filing a claim, since I have been paying $10 for almost 2 years with the iPhone and $7 monthly previous to that with my other phones.  I then learned that I would need to pay an additional $170 for a refurbished phone. I was and still am very upset with this news.  I have already paid about $200 in this contract alone, which means this phone is actually costing me over $370.  Why is the deductible so high?  I then learned that if I had opted to purchase Apple Care I would have paid $100 at the beginning of my contract for 2 years of service and only have needed to spend $50 for a replacement phone. This is a big difference in price. 

I am very upset that having purchased the phone through Verizon Wireless, I was never given the option to purchase Apple Care.  Verizon Wireless only tells you about Asurion, which is very costly.  I feel that I have wasted a lot of money paying Asurion for a service I will never use. I refused to file a claim. Thankfully, Verizon Wireless agreed to upgrade my phone since I was a week away from my upgrade.  I will be switching to Apple Care with my new phone, which I suggest that all Apple iPhone users do as well.  I am telling all my family and friends to switch to Apple Care.  Verizon Wireless should give the option for both.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Dissatisfied Asurion Customer - Get Apple Care
msturgis
Contributor - Level 3

I think the problem lies with your understanding of what "customer service" is. The days of "customer is always right" is over. You need to get out of that mindset. I see that you complained about Verizon (its reps) not letting you know about Apple care options -are you kidding me? What do you think Verizon is - a trust established to look after your welfare? Get real. Verizon is here to make money and to them the only thing matters is what's legal and what's not when it comes to making money.

Verizon makes way more money selling Asurion insurance (so it pays the reps to sell Asurion ins also) than selling Apple Care. Verizon is here to make money - you have to understand that. As a customer, YOU have the responsibility to research your options. Verizon has NO legal obligation to tell you about all the things you can do to save money.

Blame yourself for not looking into it, and blame yourself for thinking a rep who is paid to make money for Verizon is there to help you pay less to Verizon.

Do I agree with the current system? Of course not - but in this times - there is no such thing as "morals" or "ethics" - if it's legal, it's moral and ethical. You have to get accustomed to that.

rcschnoor
Legend

APPLE sells Apple Care. They do not allow anyone else to do so. Verizon could not have sold you Apple Care even if you had asked to purchase it.

0 Likes
Spiral
Master - Level 1

There are significant differences between Asurion and Apple Care insurance for your iPhone that you need to consider.  Yes, the Asurion detectible is high and you receive a refurbished replacement.  On the other hand, Asurion does cover lost phones and some damage that Apple care does not.

I am not advocating either, but do recommend that you RESEARCH the pros and cons of each plan and decide for yourself which plan works best for you.

Another recommendation I have is always keep a spare phone (even if it's a dumb phone) on hand in case you primary handset is damaged/malfunctions.  This is another form of 'cheap insurance'.

budone
Legend

lucoz3 wrote:

I have been a Verizon Wireless customer for over 5 years and currently have an iPhone 4s.  I recently dropped it and shattered the screen.  I called Asurion to inquire about filing a claim, since I have been paying $10 for almost 2 years with the iPhone and $7 monthly previous to that with my other phones.  I then learned that I would need to pay an additional $170 for a refurbished phone. I was and still am very upset with this news.  I have already paid about $200 in this contract alone, which means this phone is actually costing me over $370.  Why is the deductible so high?  I then learned that if I had opted to purchase Apple Care I would have paid $100 at the beginning of my contract for 2 years of service and only have needed to spend $50 for a replacement phone. This is a big difference in price. 

I am very upset that having purchased the phone through Verizon Wireless, I was never given the option to purchase Apple Care.  Verizon Wireless only tells you about Asurion, which is very costly.  I feel that I have wasted a lot of money paying Asurion for a service I will never use. I refused to file a claim. Thankfully, Verizon Wireless agreed to upgrade my phone since I was a week away from my upgrade.  I will be switching to Apple Care with my new phone, which I suggest that all Apple iPhone users do as well.  I am telling all my family and friends to switch to Apple Care.  Verizon Wireless should give the option for both.

All I can offer is read the insurance contract and do your homework

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

It is my recommendation to friends and family, that unless you break or lose phones on a regular basis to not get insurance.  Take the money you would have spent and set it aside (I know a challenge for some, but a great life skill to do).  If a phone needs repair, use the funds you saved.  If you don't need the self insurance, you have a great downpayment for your next phone.  In some cases Applecare plus may make sense, but it is very hard to justify the costs of Asurion.