Did anyone have an increase in data usage but didn't increase activity on the iphone 4s?
sassy1960

My data usage doubled, yet I rarely use my phone. Has anyone else noticed an increase in data usage?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Did anyone have an increase in data usage but didn't increase activity on the iphone 4s?
Tidbits
Legend

Do you close apps ate cache apps? Do you have icloud setup?

0 Likes
Re: Did anyone have an increase in data usage but didn't increase activity on the iphone 4s?
creativefootage

yes had this happen yesterday,  any Ideas on how to stop it from happening?  Also does texing add to  data  change?  just received my first smarter than me phone and am trying to learn the how  too's and how not too's of the thing. 

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

creativefootage wrote:

Also does texing add to  data  change?

If you have your texts going thru iMessage, I believe it does use data from your allowance. Not much, though.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I can understand how this can be puzzling to determine why you have more data than normal.
What types of activity do you use on the phone?
You can also close any running apps http://www.apple.com/support/iphone/assistant/application/#section_3, Use WiFi when feasible.
Another great help is http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4146

Tamara H.
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
jlee7
Enthusiast - Level 3

You can see when you are using data by looking at data usage details under your current usage. It lists how much data was used and at what time so you can narrow down what may be consuming your data. I looked and discovered that one of the teens on my line is using huge amounts of data when he is at his dad's every other weekend when he has no access to wifi. My question is what can he possibly be doing that would use .75 - 1GB of data at a time???

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hey jlee7,

Thanks for the great question. I understand wanting to know what could use that much data at one time. Since for your security, we do not monitor what you do online, only how much data you use, we cannot tell what was going on with the phone. Asking your child what they were doing would be better, however, to lend you a hand on what it possibly could be, I can give some suggestions. You are able to download large files like movies or music files and they may take up quite a bit of data. Also, if they are looking at You Tube clips or streaming music on Pandora for hours, that will also rack up data quickly. Anything that involves images, videos, or streaming audio will use a lot of data overall. There may be additional things that could be going on, but I would ask your child. I hope this was of some help for you!

Thanks!
MichelleG_VZW

Please follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport

phone4dhb

after you open twitter or facebook on the iphone, how do you close out of it?

0 Likes
jenilo13
Enthusiast - Level 2

phone4dhb, double click on your HOME button. Hold down on the apps and they'll start to 'shake' and they'll also have a Red minus sign on the top right. Click on the MINUS signs. It'll close the app out.

0 Likes
MargaritaAlvarez13

Michelle,

I have a similar issue, it started when my parents got their first smartphones. I make sure they understand that only at home are they free to use it as they please since they're on our wifi, nevertheless our data usage is surging and the analyzing tool puts it at time when they are at home, their phones automatically connect to wifi when in the house, I'm wondering if there is anything else I can try, I do not want to have to turn of their data. Or if there are things they could possibly be doing that neither of are aware of that could be using up their data despite being connected to our wifi?

Any tips on what I can look at would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Maggie

0 Likes