Data usage with iPhone 6/6+
kwilliams31376
Enthusiast - Level 2

Is anybody else having outrageous data consumption when using iPhone 6/6 ? Over the months since I have had the new phone I have been using 2-3 times more data than before I got the new iPhone.

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Data usage with iPhone 6/6+
Weth
Legend

Did you look at Settings/Cellular and then scroll to bottom. This will list all the apps and how much data each app is using. Which apps are using high amounts of data. There are reports that this can be a stuck email download or a stuck app update and it just keeps trying using up data. From this screen you can also turn off cellular data use for each individual app. You may also try rebooting the phone if you have not done that (home button held at same time of sleep/wake button for 10 seconds then let go). Also close each app first by double clicking on the home button and then swiping up each app to remove it from active memory.

Report back what apps are using the data.

Added:

Learn about cellular data settings and usage on your iPhone and iPad (Cellular Model) - Apple Suppor...

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
That doesn't sound good at all Kwilliams31376. We would like to help if you don't mind. Was the previous device a 4g device? What applications are you finding that you use the most? BobbyN_VZW Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!
0 Likes
Weth
Legend

How much data? What phone did you have previous?

0 Likes
kwilliams31376
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have about 12 days left in my billing cycle and I've alredy used 12gb out of my 8gb plan. I previously has the iPhone 5s

0 Likes
kwilliams31376
Enthusiast - Level 2

I previously had the iPhone 5s. I have about 12 days left in my billing cycle and I've alredy used 12gb out of my 8gb plan. Before I got the 6+ I never went over 6gb

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

- Are you set up to use wifi whenever you can?

- with that much data, how much video are you watching, and what video apps? You can change settings on some apps to use lower quality stream to use less data.

- Watch hotspot use if you are using that.  Regular computers will use lots of data

- Plug in in to charge phone overnight, keeps wifi connected

kwilliams31376
Enthusiast - Level 2

I use WiFi when I am at school, work, and home.  I rarely watch any type of videos or use apps that play videos. I never use a hot spot.  My phone is always plugged in at night.  I called into customer care last month with this issue and they told me to turn off cellular data when connected to WiFi  and I have been doing that 75% of the time.  I always clear all apps when not in use.  Its just very frustrating trying to understand why I am using so much data and when I call Verizon for help with this they really don't any answer for me.

0 Likes
Eadur
Contributor - Level 3

1. We have had trouble with my wife's iPhone 5c 8GB using excessive amount of data usage. Yes, you can reduce the amount of data usage by adjusting this or that setting(s), disabling this or that App, and so forth. But for us this was just a band-aid solution. Yet doing all of this may solve your issue.

2. However, what I have learned from difference sources is that by design iPhones do turn off WiFi when they go dormant. So if a download is in process or information is being back-up wirelessly, and the phone goes dormant, it WILL switch to use cellular data, if it is left on.

3. Later onward, I learned that if you keep an iPhone connected to a power source, than it will NOT go dormant. In which case, it will stay connected to a WiFi network source. Nevertheless, this seem to prove true with my wife's iPhone. This is why I purchase her a 9 foot power cord, for her to use whenever she can. And this has proven to reduce her excessive data usage to a normal amount now.

4. I do not know if this will be any help to you or not. But from my wife and mine point of reference, this has proven to be an Apple problem, and not a Verizon problem. Because I set up both of our smartphones to very similar settings and so forth. Yet my non-iPhone has not used any of our shared data usage allowance since 26 October, 2014.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
I can see why this would ring the alarm for you, kwilliams31376.  Did you just get the phone? Sometimes during the set up process we use quite a bit of data to get the apps installed.  Our Data Utilization Tool http://vz.to/1Nd5tw6 is also a great help.    TamaraH_VZW Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!
0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
Those are great habits to have, kwilliams31376.  Have you had a chance to look at the Data Utilization Tool?    TamaraH_VZW Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!
0 Likes