Can I bring my iPhone 5s/5c from Tmobile to Verizon?
zippythewonderslug

I am currently with T-mobile and have an iPhone 5s that I purchased through them. My wife has the iPhone 5c. We own both outright (no payments, no contract). I have seen conflicting information on whether or not we can activate these phones with Verizon. If we want to switch to Verizon, can we use our current phones? If so, what steps do we need to take?

We are interested in Verizon, but are not willing to take the several-hundred dollar hit of trading in paid-off phones for new hardware.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Can I bring my iPhone 5s/5c from Tmobile to Verizon?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Zippythewonderslug,

We are very excited to hear that you want to join us and apologize for the confusion! I'm happy to clarify.

T-Mobile uses a technology called GSM and we use a technology called CDMA for calls and texts. This means that although data may work (we both use some of the same LTE bands) in 4G LTE areas that we cover, calls and texts will not since that technology is different.

If you go into an area that we supply 3G or 1X data only you will not be able to use our data either because it is CDMA based, and there are areas where our LTE bands are different than their LTE bands. In these areas you would also not be able to use our LTE data.

This can be very frustrating/confusing and we do not want you to be limited in what capabilities you can use with your phone so we recommend using a Verizon iPhone with our services for full functionality.

Due to all of these factors we cannot promise that if you bring your iPhone to us it will work/activate, or what kinds of service/coverage you would have with it.

If you choose to bring another carrier's phone to us you would be able to use our More Everything plan, with the pricing described here: http://vz.to/1jK3j4H.

I hope that clarifies everything.

SarahO_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

zippythewonderslug,

Thanks for your interest in Verizon Wireless! We'd be happy to have you be a part of the VZW family.  At this time the T-Mobile iPhone 5s is not programmed to work on our network.  Have you checked out our trade in program? www.trade-in.vzw.  You may be surprised how much you'll get for those devices!  You can also contact our sales professionals for all available offers and options; 888-924-7937.

TrevorC_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

The iPhone 5c normally ships unlocked. As long as your T-Mobile phone has CDMA and LTE radios that can communicate on Verizon's network, and you can re-program the iPhone (meaning it's unlocked), then you should be good. Pop the SIM in and off you go.

Reprogramming phones to a CDMA network is certainly possible.

0 Likes
zippythewonderslug

I am surprised at what is being offered for trade-in. It is significantly less than I thought, well under half of what the new phone cost. So, unless my phone can be reprogrammed, I think I'll have to stay where I am. Like I said, I'm not willing to take a $400 loss on a phone I have owned for less than a year just to change providers.

I appreciate your prompt response.

0 Likes
zippythewonderslug

Smith, do you know if this also works for the 5s? I have seen comments like this online in other places, but haven't been able to get verification from either a company rep or anyone who has done it themselves. Others have said that 'unlocked' and physically compatible don't necessarily mean it will work.

Have you done this yourself? How is the reprogramming done?

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

The reprogramming is done by usually popping the SIM in.

What is the model of the iPhone 5s? I need to see if a CDMA radio is contained.

0 Likes
tbo27
Master - Level 2

I doubt they'll be fully functional on vzw but there's only one way to find out.  Suprised you can't sell for good price 3rd party. Vzw superior network will make you forget about losing some cash you unloaded for them. If they work fully

0 Likes
zippythewonderslug

smith,

It is a 32 GB iPhone 5s. The model number is A1533. It lists as being the same model number for AT&T, T-Mobile, and Verizon. This is why I assumed that I would be able to change carriers. I don't understand why Verizon isn't encouraging/facilitating changing carriers.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

zippythewonderslug We are very concerned that you want to change carriers. Although many carriers use Apple devices, we run off different networks which impacts phone compatibility with the carrier's network system. What is the reason you no longer want to be with us?

SheritaH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter
@VZWSupport

0 Likes
zippythewonderslug

Verizon Support,

You need to read the whole thread. The thread was opened when I asked how to change FROM t-mobile TO Verizon. I'm not trying to leave Verizon, I'm trying to join. I have an iPhone 5s that I purchased through t-mobile and I am considering bringing it to Verizon.

Everything I read says that it is the same model of phone (A1533) for Verizon, T-Mobile, and AT&T. So, I *should* be able to use my current phone on Verizon. However, the first response by Verizon Support above said that my phone 'is not programmed' to work on the Verizon network. If it's a software issue, how do we fix that? Software is, by its very nature, changeable (i.e. soft).

The two deciding factors for me leaving t-mobile and coming to Verizon are whether we can keep our existing, paid-off iPhones, and the pricing of plans when we bring our own devices. Unfortunately, I can't get any real information on how to bring our current iPhones, and I can't access pricing without entering the ID of a phone that Verizon recognizes.

So, Verizon Support, can you direct me to pricing information for plans when we bring our own phones and discuss how to activate our iPhones on the Verizon network?

0 Likes