Adding a new phone to contract
lighthouselover
Enthusiast - Level 2

I went from AT&T back to Verizon in Feb of 2014.  I got three phones, all was great until my son's phone fell out of his pocket and got caught in the door of the car when he got out.  It shattered the screen and would not come back on.  Lesson learned, I now have insurance coverage.  Anyway, I took the phone (GalaxyS4) to the Verizon store where we purchased it and explained everything to them.  They tried to fix the phone but had no luck.  She suggested we add a line to our account, suspend the old phone but put the old phone number on the new phone so he could keep it.  My concern was the cost, I did not want to pay for a new phone.  She assured me that there would be a $10.00 monthly charge for the new phone.  I would still have to pay the monthly charges for the old phone.  I thought, okay that is better than cancelling the phone and having to pay the termination fee since we only had the phone for 5 months. I realized on my bill that I am paying $45.00 for a new line (phone).  It has been almost a year since this happened.  Should I go back to the Verizon store and ask them why they did this when the girl told me it would only cost $10.00 and get my money credited? Will they credit me after all this time?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Adding a new phone to contract
Snn5
Legend

I think you will have a hard time with this given the amount of time that has passed between the time you added the line and noticed the charge on the bill.  You can try to appeal the case, but you basically have a customer vs salesperson situation where there really isn't a plan for $10 for a phone (there is for a tablet.)  This may be one of those one-off situations where the customer needed to be better informed, even though the trust was in the salesperson.  What information did you read on the paperwork before you left?  What did the agreement  or receipt say that you signed? 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

I think you will have a hard time with this given the amount of time that has passed between the time you added the line and noticed the charge on the bill.  You can try to appeal the case, but you basically have a customer vs salesperson situation where there really isn't a plan for $10 for a phone (there is for a tablet.)  This may be one of those one-off situations where the customer needed to be better informed, even though the trust was in the salesperson.  What information did you read on the paperwork before you left?  What did the agreement  or receipt say that you signed? 

0 Likes
lighthouselover
Enthusiast - Level 2

Wow, now it makes sense.....there is for a tablet! When I got the new phone there was a rebate for $150.00.The salesperson gave me everything I needed to send in for the rebate.  I followed the directions given to me.  I received a post card stating that i sent in an invalid proof of purchase (UPS) bar code.  When I called they told me the form I sent in was for a tablet not a Galaxy S4.  They ended up sending me a $50.00 rebate. So the salesperson, Jamie Parkey, misled me in what I was getting.  She did say (and my 19 year old son was there with me) that adding a phone would be $10.00. At that time there was a promotion for adding a phone for $10.00 but you are saying there wasn't.

The customer agreement says the plan is a MORE EVERYTHING UNL TALK & TEXT 8GB $90 0214; monthly line access 77573- smartphone line access $40    0029 account level plan.

My husband always handled getting the phone contracts for the family, I don't always understand the double talk that salespeople give out. My husband and I were separated in 2010 and after he passed away in Sept of 2013 the boys were complaining about the service and phones that they had with AT&T.  The contract with AT&T was up so we decided to go back to Verizon who we had for years before going to AT&T. Those bills were being paid through a trust that was set up for the boys.  It wasn't until recently when I was shown a yearly breakdown that I realized the high expense for the Verizon bill and asked to investigate it.  That is when I found this error.

Thanks for your help and answering my question so fast. Smiley Happy Looks like I'm screwed! Smiley Sad

Snn5
Legend

Glad I could help clarify and explain.  Smiley Happy

0 Likes
lighthouselover
Enthusiast - Level 2

Do you think it would be wise for me to go in and terminate the damaged phone now instead of paying another 12 months of monthly service?  The contract on that phone runs til July 2016.  I was looking online to find out what the termination cost would be but can't seem to find the right section that tells me.  The contract just says that it could be up to $350.00.  Any direction you could give me on where to look would be helpful unless it is better that I go to a verizon store

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

To cancel you'll have to go to a corporate store or call customer service as the account owner.  The ETF is $350 but you subtract $10 for each completed month.  So, $230 is your ETF if you have 12 months to go on a 24 month contract due to you signing your contract before Nov 14, 2014.

0 Likes
lighthouselover
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'll do that.  It beats paying another $540 for a damaged phone that we aren't using.  Thanks!!

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Welcome.

0 Likes