switching devices problem
cbeecher

I replaced my device with a HTC thunderbolt I got from a friend.  I went through the process online and it shows that I have switched devices on the account page, but I cannot complete calls or texts.  I've tried dialing *228 and it says "a SIM card has activated your service and updated your phones roaming capabilities" but I cannot complete any calls/texts.  it also reads "pending order" on the device management page but I did the process last night about 24 hours ago.  any ideas on how to resolve this issue?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: switching devices problem
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

cbeecher, We certainly want to get that device up and running for you. It would be best to get you a new SIM card at this time. You could either call our support team to request a SIM or speak to one of our CHAT representatives. You can call customer support at 800-922-0204 or *611 from any verizon wireless device. If you need one sooner, you should be able to pick one up at one of our corporate store locations http://bit.ly/3SdsA Ttipgem is correct that it is a different size SIM card and the older SIMs were linked to the device mobile number it originally activated on. The new SIM cards have the ability to switch from one mobile number to another.

-PeterV_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

View solution in original post

0 Likes
ttipgem
Master - Level 1

You can't dial *228 on an LTE device.

What device did you have before?

Did it have a SIM card?
If so, did you put that SIM card in the new device?
If not, then you need to get a SIM card from a corporate store.

0 Likes
cbeecher

I had a droid razr but the sim card was much smaller and didn't fit in the SIM holder.

0 Likes
ttipgem
Master - Level 1

Okay .....

And did you get the proper sized SIM card for the new phone?

0 Likes
cbeecher

I used the one that was already in it and it asked for the SIM number when I changed devices and I just entered the one from the HTC I assumed that would work.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

FYI your friend probably shouldn't have kept the SIM card in the Thunderbolt. The SIM card was tied to their phone number and might have their account info on it too.

You could have used the SIM card from your DROID Razr in the Thunderbolt by add a micro SIM to mini SIM card adapter. By using the adapter, you wouldn't have needed to go through the MyVerizon account online to switch the devices either. Once the Thunderbolt was booted up with your SIM card in it, the phone would have activated with your phone number.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello cbeecher

I wanted to reach out to you to see if you were able to get your HTC Thunderbolt. If you are still having an issue with the activation then please send us a private message so we can take a look into this together. As always, we're here to help.

Thank you...

ArnettH_VZW

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

cbeecher, We certainly want to get that device up and running for you. It would be best to get you a new SIM card at this time. You could either call our support team to request a SIM or speak to one of our CHAT representatives. You can call customer support at 800-922-0204 or *611 from any verizon wireless device. If you need one sooner, you should be able to pick one up at one of our corporate store locations http://bit.ly/3SdsA Ttipgem is correct that it is a different size SIM card and the older SIMs were linked to the device mobile number it originally activated on. The new SIM cards have the ability to switch from one mobile number to another.

-PeterV_VZW

0 Likes