Re: s5 lollipop update and draining the battery and slowing my phone down?
KeetaSpeed
Enthusiast - Level 2

This link just brought me to a Yahoo search page.  Wow Verizon, you can't even post a working link - no wonder thousands of people are watching their new phones become inoperable - there's not even a basic understanding of tech here, is there?

0 Likes
Migs_inc
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have the Galaxy S5 on Verizon, and like a lot of others, I've had issues with the phone after the Lollipop update. Battery life reduced from about a day of mixed use to less than 6 hours, and Contacts crashed several times a day. After researching here and elsewere, I decided to do a factory reset. Basically, this worked.

Post-reset, battery life is back to normal. However, Contacts still dies every couple of days. And oddly, phone security flakes. I use a swipe pattern, and a few times every day, the swipe pattern requirement disappears (I can just randomly swipe to get access).

Before the factory reset, the "smart" version of me backed up everything to Kies and via Google's backup and restore. I tried to use Helium but it crashed repeatedly. After the factory reset, I tried to restore. The Google process immediately started downloading apps. Kies, basically, did nothing. I've used it before and it's hit and miss.

In retrospect, I would not have performed this update. Too much work for little to no functional value. Notifications on the lock screen are not that important to me, and otherwise, I can't see any meaningful changes. Looks like Samsung overrode some of the Material Design components. Example: no guest mode. I found a nice summary and discussion of what's missing on this Verizon update on...

Lollipop on the S5 - Pg. 2 | Verizon Samsung Galaxy S 5 | XDA Forums

GalaxyClass
Master - Level 1

Good information      

0 Likes
LMK81
Enthusiast - Level 3

*Update* - I feel like the 5.0 update is the biggest FAIL.  After two factory resets (because apparently the first one didn't complete successfully) I'm still having issues. The lag-time when selecting anything on the screen is long enough a person could grow 5 grey hairs while waiting.  My battery life is severely diminished--to the point of annoying.  I don't always have the ability to charge my phone during the day, and prior to 5.0, I never had to!  About the only thing that seemed to change is that my phone is no longer getting hot and going into cool-down mode.  My phone was taken off the charger at 7am, it's been on my desk since 8am, not being used, and had to be put on the charger at 1pm...Ridiculous, Verizon.  I should go back to Sprint....

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
patdar3,  Let's make sure that we get your phone back to working the way it should! That kind of drop off in performance definitely isn't okay. Have you checked the Play Store to see if there are updates available for any of your apps? Can you try the phone in safe mode to see if it runs any better? http://vz.to/1Ea5XxF  AndrewT_VZW  Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport  If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!
0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
patdar3, I too love Verizon and my S5. I'm sorry to hear that after the update your battery is running low too fast. I want you to love your device again and not even consider leaving us. Let's try placing your S5 in safe mode and see ow that works. http://spr.ly/6-172csH. Also, do you use the Verizon Cloud to save and store your content? If not please download that app from the Play Store.  VanetrisC_VZW  Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport  If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!
0 Likes
B33
Legend

Guys your Links are basically going to the same Area it's kind of confusing because it's basically telling one's the same thing if you have some suggestions and they are working for your S5 just pass that on so ones on here can go with what there doing and Don't have to worry any longer.. of what they need to do or can try.. These updates are a Headache enough the need to not confuse is getting to be more confusing,  something needs to Fixed soon very Soon.!  B33

GalaxyClass
Master - Level 1

I think it's safe to say that B33 . has the correct answer for this major Samsung S5 nightmare.  Ok Verizon, your S5 customers have had enough with your total lack of care and not dealing with this. Customer support is useless. FIX IT!               > if you have some suggestions and they are working for your S5 just pass that on so ones on here can go with what there doing and Don't have to worry any longer.. of what they need to do or can try.. These updates are a Headache enough the need to not confuse is getting to be more confusing,  something needs to be Fixed soon very Soon. !

angelinaOO7
Enthusiast - Level 3

Well its been a month, I've done all I know... this is my current situation. just so you have a visual...

2015-03-19 23.01.49.png

I literally just took my phone off the charger, maybe 4 minutes ago and it’s already dropped 4% AND I have approximately 3 hours left. It is currently on power save with background data restricted...SYNC is off! I've taken off numerous apps that don’t get used often, but that are handy to have. Facebook and the Facebook messenger app, gone...A lot of my apps no longer work with the update! Basically I can’t use my phone the way I could before and its incredibly inconvenient and frustrating!! I mean what’s the point?? I've been patient for as long as I can be... I need this fixed. OR I want a brand new one, not some refurbished POS either…

angelinaOO7
Enthusiast - Level 3

Also!? I'm literally on WiFi all day long, except when I drive, which isn't far, nor do I use my phone while I drive, so that's a moot point... anyway,before lolliflop... I used less than 2GB, now, I use 3 or more!? How is that possible?

Also, for those of us waiting on 5.1 to fix our woes, it may bring even more issues according to this article....

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2015/03/16/android-5-1-problems/

and this one...

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2015/03/18/samsung-galaxy-lollipop-update-release/