s5 lollipop update and draining the battery and slowing my phone down?
angelinaOO7
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have the S5. I did both updates that were sent out. I got one Sunday and the other one Monday. Ever since then, my phone has been lagging and the battery has been draining FASTER than ever. I've hardly used my phone today and I'm at 39%. I unplugged my phone from the charger at 7:00am and it  is now 10:34am. SYNC is not on, just my WiFi and mobile data. I have disabled all animation, I've even uninstalled several apps.WHICH sucks because whats the point of having a cell phone without my apps?!. I've turned off every thing I can think of that causes a battery drain! ALSO, my notifications and ringtones are not working. When I get a notification, its not the one that says it is?? No matter how many times I try to reset it, it does something else. It also gets really hot, constantly. I've turned off and I've taken the battery out for awhile. I've also taken the battery out while turned on. Nothing thus far has worked.

The point I want to stress is that I did NOT have these issues before this update! It worked pretty smoothly.

In the time its taken to write this post (@10-15 minutes), my phone drained 6%!!!!

Things I've done to try and improve my battery:

1. removed 3 of the animation effects, including the unlock and transition effects

2. uninstalled apps

3. disabled S-voice

4. turned off auto sync

5. turned off blue tooth, unless i'm using it.

6. clean cache, with clean master and i also use the battery doctor to help optimize my battery!!

Any HELP, suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: s5 lollipop update and draining the battery and slowing my phone down?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

angelinaOO7,

Sorry to hear that your s5 has had faster battery drain. There are several things that may impact battery life, specifically after an operating system upgrade or software update. The application memory areas may have to be optimized. This can take time and cause the device to temporarily use more battery while the optimization is in progress. Generally, you can see the device normalize after 3 to 4 days. You wrote that you had clean the cache with clean master. Do you mean you have used the Clean Master App? Were you using the Battery Doctor and Clean Master apps before the update?

BrianP_VZW
Follow Us on Twitter @VZWSupport

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

angelinaOO7,

Sorry to hear that your s5 has had faster battery drain. There are several things that may impact battery life, specifically after an operating system upgrade or software update. The application memory areas may have to be optimized. This can take time and cause the device to temporarily use more battery while the optimization is in progress. Generally, you can see the device normalize after 3 to 4 days. You wrote that you had clean the cache with clean master. Do you mean you have used the Clean Master App? Were you using the Battery Doctor and Clean Master apps before the update?

BrianP_VZW
Follow Us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
angelinaOO7
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yes, I used clean master. I've had those 2 apps on the phone prior to the update. I forgot to add the lag time in my camera and it takes twice as long to charge it now.

Thanks!

0 Likes
Dbudds
Enthusiast - Level 2

Same issues here. Only way to stop the drain is turn off Wifi altogether. This issue needs attention STAT.

Evelbodevil
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am having the same issue.  Very sluggish and draining the battery faster than I can charge it. 

GalaxyClass
Master - Level 1

From your post you have given it a good try, but their are two more moves that you can do.  First re-clean the system cache by doing a regular system wipe (do not use clean master) and then a complete reset of settings. Wait time is needed after doing both as the OS and battery will need time to become stable again, 2 to 3 days is norm. If after doing the above and waiting your next move would be a factory data reset and if still no improvement, getting  the patch/update when released. Keep posting on your results. Thanks for your input on this 5.0 issue. 

"Wipe cache partition". This will clears the cache of your Samsung Galaxy S5 and should fix your problems. The good thing about the Wipe cache is that no files are deleted.

Power off your Samsung Galaxy S5 by long pressing the Power On/ Off button. Wait until the device is completely shut down. Now you have to press the following keys at the same time to turn on the phone again:

Power On / Off
Volume up
Home button

If the Samsung Galaxy S5 vibrates once, release the power on/ off button, but keep the other two keys from the key combination pressed until a menu appears on the display.

mark the entry "Wipe cache partition" with the volume down key. With the power on / off button, the entry can be selected and the process will start.
This usually takes only a few seconds. Then the previously displayed menu appears again. Now select the first entry "Reboot system now" and run the command again with pressing the power button. Your Samsung Galaxy S5 will now reboot.

If this does not help, you will then need to do a factory data reset on your Samsung S5  and again this is not a 100% fix in most cases.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi Evelbodevil!

I'm sorry for any issues with the update to Lollipop on your device. I do have some information to share with you all. Please take a look at the details provided by our team: http://bit.ly/1uGywC3

I'm sure this will give you some insight on the update and some helpful suggestions

ChristinaB_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
angelinaOO7
Enthusiast - Level 3

That links not working!?Screenshot 2015-02-11 19.33.15.png

angelinaOO7
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'll give it a try and I'll let you know!

0 Likes
tammygenne
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm having the same problems.