how to permanently ignore update notice to lollipop 5.0
aintbrokeDONTFIX
Enthusiast - Level 2

I currently have the Samsung Galaxy S4, running Android 4.4.2.  I just got this phone a few months ago after having the Motorola Razr for ~7 years.  I really like the new usefulness of having and paying for a smart cell, and have finally settled into the look, feel, and personalized settings I like/need.  I don't use the phone enough to care about updating anything.  It's not broken, and doesn't need to be fixed.  Besides that, I have Kaspersky to handle security, a bunch of various other apps for messaging, and a couple of "fun"/games from small developers that I don't mind never using but I went through the trouble of getting so I want to keep.  I spent hours learning how to use the phone and OS, setting it up, and making it work.  The system look and feel is acceptable, could be improved slightly, but not enough that I need to worry about it or re-learn that different icons do the same thing.  I still move stuff around to tweak the look and position of stuff.  I have an estimated 90% satisfaction of it so far.  That is high enough to not change anything.  I don't develop, or crack, or hack, or any of that.  I found the default applications that came with the device suitable to my needs.  My goals in life don't center around my phone, but I like/need my phone for my goals. 

Now I'm getting an in-my-face notice that I have to update to Android 5.0 "lollipop".  Reading online and these forums shows I would only be asking for trouble.  Not only the systemic issues, but how many of my settings and apps will be ruined?  What will change about what I already have?  I looked them up and I don't care about the "new features" of 5.0, because they seem superfluous.  I'm not talking about that, I'm asking about how many things will I have to re-do?  How many hours will I have to waste just putting my phone back the way I want it?  When I get the update, will all my apps be moved around?  Will my Note files be deleted or moved?  Will the storage folders I set up to store pics and files in a logical fashion for my use, now be moved around and I have to dig for them again?  The 5.0 "reply-able notices on home screen" and "auto unlock" sounds like security is being compromised.  Will my Calendar entries be erased?  Do I really have to backup my files, pics, vids, notes, calendar entries, contacts, etc., to "the cloud" where my security is further compromised?  Backup and compromise, just so the icons or windows have a shadow?

Here's a scary story:  I deleted pics from MySpace years ago, then I get an email from MySpace recently with those pics, saying "remember these?".  Well, I don't want my data stored on an uncontrolled, hackable, server forever, even if I "delete" it.

Why do I have to waste my time/life on things like this, instead of being able to focus on what is important to living?  If I get the update, how much more time will have to be wasted re-learning it and putting everything back the way I want it?  How many apps will no longer work?

Why don't I have the option to keep what I have?  How can I permanently set the update and notice to "ignore"?

Do I have to "root" my phone in order to move system and update files around (similar to when I had to with the registry in Windows 95 and XP) to stop getting the notice or update?

For now, the only solution I've found is to wear out the "back" arrow on my new paperweight.

Labels (1)
Re: how to permanently ignore update notice to lollipop 5.0
aintbrokeDONTFIX
Enthusiast - Level 2

Sorry, I meant "reply-able notices on LOCK screen".

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Yes many things will change, mainly how your user interface looks.   Apps and files should remain.  I won't try to downplay your worries about everything you mentioned above. It is a risk, especially for some users who are updating to 5.0.  But, in the end, the update will install itself in time.  The best course is to backup your files locally to a PC if you do not want to use a cloud service.  You can defer the install only so long before that option is gone and you must choose when to install, as in what hour, not what day.  Do not root.  You will void your warranty.  And, you have stated you have no interest in hacking and such.  Stay away from that.

0 Likes
aintbrokeDONTFIX
Enthusiast - Level 2

I was just using the "Lite" version of the new Google Maps.  The white box obscures a large part of the map because it is an "overlay card" instead of a sidebar (in addition to an actual sidebar that overlays the overlay), can't be removed unless you also want to lose your search result, and from what I read, the impression I get is that Android 5.0 will function similarly.  This functionality is very annoying and a bad interface design.

I also noticed that in the update notices on my phone, they say "your phone" and "your device", as if to suggest I have ownership.  If Android 5.0 looks like the map webpage, then I'm nearing a couple of solutions to my original problem:  root "my" phone and fix the problem myself by moving files around, or change carriers/phone to one that actually responds to its customers (instead of allowing Google to push useless updates on us like a drug dealer). 

Concerning warranty coverage, what does it even cover in this case?  I took care of my Razr for 7 years and it still worked when I traded it in.  Would this affect my billing contract with Verizon?  Hummm, they allow Google to push major updates... maybe I can just stop paying.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Newer phones are optimized to run GMaps full, not lite.  It says, "Your phone" because "The phone you are using on the Verizon network that you don't own yet" is a bit wordy.  Warranty covers hardware and software defects that were not caused by the user.  Updates that fail or improperly program the device are covered under this warranty, at least all mine were.  Warranty does not cover root, because root voids warranty.  You cannot stop paying without paying in another way.  There is a big difference in build and function of a Razr circa 2004 (unless you're talkiung about the Droid Razr circa November 2011)  and a smartphone from the past 2 years.

0 Likes
aintbrokeDONTFIX
Enthusiast - Level 2

I should clarify:  I meant I was looking at Google Maps on my PC.  Also, I was talking about Razr circa 2004.  Plus, I should shorten this to just the technical stuff:

The update notice gives the option to "install later", but goes to a clock screen for "at what time" which gives the option for "start automatically".  Pressing "cancel" goes back to the update notice screen.  If I set a time on the clock screen, then press "ok", but not "start automatically", then does that just set the time for when the reminder pops up again?

The icon used to notify of the update matches "SDM Version 1.0".  The icon is a red double arrow circle in the lower right corner of a smartphone with the android robot on the screen.  With "force stop" of this app, the update notice status icon at the top of the screen vanishes as desired.  But, SDM keeps restarting almost instantly, and the update notice and icon reappear.  In "app info" for SDM, only the "force stop" button is available, all others are grayed out ("show notifications" and "turn off" are not pickable).

So... how do I get SDM to permanently turn off?  Or, how do I get an option to either keep the current OS or update?  Where is the "cancel update notice, and never remind me again" option?

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Setting the time will start the update at the time specified, not set the reminder.

Force stopping system processes only restarts them within seconds.

You can continue to defer if possible, but auto-install will occur, at some point.  Most say near 6 week mark.

Basically, the update will happen and you just need to be prepared with backup files and a cleared system cache.

0 Likes
aintbrokeDONTFIX
Enthusiast - Level 2

So, where did "jasoncci6" go and his posts?  He seemed to agree with my philosophy.

Anyway, hitting the back button seems to be the only thing I can do for now to get the notice to go away for a while.  Making & taking phone calls, that is, using the phone for it's intended purpose, seems to make the notice disappear longer.

I don't know what I'm going to do about it.  All I know is that:  I'm a lonely single guy, going out on the weekends in a new town looking for love, and need the smartphone internet, calendar, dating apps, and note functionalities to help me do that.  Also, a week before my original post, I actually proclaimed to the phone:  "I love this phone!"  As in, actually feeling something for it, or for anything, for a change.  Actually feeling like my life was getting better with the thing.  Now, it's just another life annoyance, return of sleepless nights, and broken heart because it can't just stay the way I put it after investing so much time and energy into setting it up to ACCOMMODATE ME and what I want.

0 Likes
aintbrokeDONTFIX
Enthusiast - Level 2

So... how do I permanently ignore the update notice?  How do I turn off the software notice?  The software that keeps popping the notice up on the screen is eating my battery, even when idle.  Main battery drain culprit is "device idle" at a disproportionate percentage over other items.

0 Likes
deloused
Master - Level 3

You can't permanently ignore it, unless you just pretend it doesn't exist.

0 Likes