Will Verizon support visual voicemail?
pandoroxus
Enthusiast - Level 2

In the upcoming Android M (Marshmallow/6.0) update visual voicemail support is going to be added to the OS in the stock dialer app (similar to the way it's implemented in the iPhone as I understand it). I'm curious to know if Verizon plans to support this feature or if Verizon will forgo implementing this feature in favor of their own (paid) service. I would assume Android users would get the service the same way iOS users do, but then again, Android doesn't really get the same weight around Verizon as iOS does.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Will Verizon support visual voicemail?
Snn5
Legend

I doubt Verizon places importance on a competing feature or service, however Verizon does sometimes do similar features, but usually only in the free-app-feature area, like message apps.  I assume you mean to ask will Verizon allow Google's VVM service in addition to their own, and you are referring to the transcription-service portion of the feature, since Verizon already has basic visual voicemail on postpaid accounts.  There's a lot more to Visual Voicemail than most people think.  Using Verizon's network, Vzw can implement their own visual vm service, while implementing a Google feature requires a lot more integration and company-cooperation.

0 Likes
pandoroxus
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm actually referring the the native visual voicemail in Android M (not Google's transcription service). I place some value in not having to install obscene amounts of Verizon apps, and I would prefer to use the app built into my phone rather then download another Verizon app. I understand implementing the feature would take work on Verizon's part (I never implied or said anywhere that it wouldn't), but given that they took the time to implement iPhone visual voicemail it's only logical that they should take the same time to implement the feature for Android.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

We'll see.

0 Likes