Will I lose service by getting a global phone?
Eskaminagaga
Enthusiast - Level 1

I was looking into buying a global phone that supports a different set of LTE frequencies than in the USA.

I found that Verizon supports bands 13 (750 MHz C Block), 4 (AWS-1 1700 MHz download, 2100 MHz upload), and the 2 and 25 (1900 PCS/1900+ at 1900 MHz) bands are being constructed.

The phone that I am looking at is the global Google Nexus 6P which does not have the 13 or 25 band, but does support the 4 and 2 bands (among others that Verizon does not use). It seems to support all the 2G and 3G spectrum, though.

My current phone is a Samsung Galaxy S4 SCH-I545 which seems to only support bands 4 and 13.

My question is: If i purchase this phone, will I experience much of a loss of service in comparison to the service that I have currently? I would only be using the 4 band as opposed to both the 4 and 13 bands that I currently use.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Will I lose service by getting a global phone?
Eskaminagaga
Enthusiast - Level 1

Looking more, I found that the global version of 6p doesn't have CDMA, so theres no voice on Verizon's CDMA network, but it should have volte.

Also, the band 4 spectrum is mostly used in denser urban areas and not so much outside of inner cities. Relying on it might not be a good idea..

I guess I will have to reconsider getting it, then...

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Eskaminagaga
Enthusiast - Level 1

Looking more, I found that the global version of 6p doesn't have CDMA, so theres no voice on Verizon's CDMA network, but it should have volte.

Also, the band 4 spectrum is mostly used in denser urban areas and not so much outside of inner cities. Relying on it might not be a good idea..

I guess I will have to reconsider getting it, then...

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Why are you looking at the global version of the Nexus 6p when the one sold for the USA is compatible with the Verizon Wireless network and has the GSM frequencies to be global ready?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The Nexus 6p specs.

Network

GSM/EDGE: 850/900/1800/1900MHz

UMTS/WCDMA: B1/2/4/5/8

CDMA: BC0/1/10

LTE (FDD): B2/3/4/5/7/12/13/17/25/26/29/30

LTE (TDD): B41

CA DL: B2-B2, B2-B4, B2-B5, B2-B12, B2-B13, B2-B17, B2-B29, B4-B4, B4-B5, B4-B13, B4-B17, B4-B29, B41-B41

Phone is carrier-unlocked with wide-range band support for service providers worldwide. Check with your service provider for more information.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Just get the 6P from the Play Store.  It works across all US carriers' bands.

0 Likes