Wifi Calling?
XRT28
Enthusiast - Level 1

So I'm a bit of a dinosaur and only just recently ditched an ancient flip phone for a new smart phone, a unlocked Moto G5 Plus from Best Buy, and unfortunately it has issues with call quality at my home out in the sticks. Specifically I can typically hear the person I'm talking with pretty much fine but they tend to complain about me cutting out when I'm talking. Also it makes no difference whether I've got "Enhanced 4G LTE" mode enabled or disabled the issue persists with signal strengths being anywhere from -115dBm to -125dBm inside my house.

Anyway because of that I was looking to try and turn on wifi calling but I see no option for it under settings. I have a friend with the same phone on T mobile and he has a wifi calling option so what gives? Is there something special I need to do to get it working or does Verizon not support WiFi calling? I'd hate to have to switch to Tmobile to solve this.

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Wifi Calling?
deloused
Master - Level 3

You'd need to switch for WIFI calling, either carrier, or device. Your phone is currently only compatible with T-Mobile's Wifi calling. 

Verizon does offer Wifi Calling with compatible phones if you had one instead though.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
deloused
Master - Level 3

You'd need to switch for WIFI calling, either carrier, or device. Your phone is currently only compatible with T-Mobile's Wifi calling. 

Verizon does offer Wifi Calling with compatible phones if you had one instead though.

0 Likes
boringusername
Master - Level 1

Non Verizon phones do not have wi-fi calling.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

XRT28, congratulations on your 1st smart phone. It'll take a little time to learn the many capabilities of your phone. I'm sorry to hear your need to use WiFi calling is due to the service you receive at home. However at this time, both of the previous responses are correct. The Moto G5, isn't one of the Motorola phones supported by our network. 

I would like to ask a few questions to help improve your signal while at home. Please tell me, what zip code are you in? Please tell me more about what happens when you attempt to use your phone at home. 

VanetrisC_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
XRT28
Enthusiast - Level 1

Well that's unfortunate Smiley Sad As far as my zip it's 01071 and pretty much like I said when I'm at home I can typically hear the other person ok but they tend to complain that I'm cutting out when I talk. Calls don't actually fully drop or anything it's just the issue of cutting out. I'm fairly certain the problem isn't on their end as it's multiple people that have told me I'm cutting out and the issues crops up even when talking to people who are on landlines. Nor do I think it's an issue with the actual microphone being defective in the new phone or something along those lines as I've gotten no such complaints about cutting out when I'm making calls while out running errands etc. 

Leads me to believe it's just due to poor signal strength in the area. As I mentioned before signal levels inside the house typically hovers around -120dBm and even going outside the house offers only a slight improvement of maybe 5dBm.

boringusername
Master - Level 1

If you need wi-fi calling you need to use a Verizon branded phone.

0 Likes