Why isn't Google Wallet Tap and Pay available on Verizon wireless?
Eyedocdoc

Previously, the Note 3 was listed as a non-supported device for Tap and Pay functionality for Google Wallet.

I recently checked the page(Eligible devices for use with Google Wallet - Wallet Help), and the Note 3 is no longer listed as a non-supported device. This would then mean that the App is limited by Verizon explicitly. Tap and Pay works just fine with Verizon's proprietary Isis/Softcard App.

Previously, I was told it was a limitation in the phone, and this is obviously not the case.

I don't like Isis/Softcard, and much prefer Google Wallet. Verizon should not be disabling competitor Apps, and forcing the use of their own.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Why isn't Google Wallet Tap and Pay available on Verizon wireless?
Tidbits
Legend

Fair game.  Google blocked ALL competition from using the secure element prior to 4.4 changes.  You had to be whitelisted from Google in order to use the secure element.  Carriers ended up putting a secure element on the sim card to get around this.  Before you say Bull on this.  Cyanogenmod couldn't make their own payment system like Wallet because Google wouldn't whitelist them.  One of the many reasons why Cyanogenmod says "They want to get outside of Google's tyranny, if you will."

Since the changes as of 4.4 all tap and pays don't need a secure element unless they want it to(which you'd have to provide).  So get yourself a 4.4 or higher device and you can use tap and pay for Google Wallet.  Companies that had no plans to make tap and pay are starting to develop for it.  They had no option to make tap and pay viable because they don't have sim card, and they couldn't use the secure element as Google wouldn't whitelist anyone BUT Google Wallet.

If that guy that said Carriers was doing it and Square, and such had no plans...  I told you they had no plans because... They couldn't use the secure element nor have anyway of putting a secure element for themselves to use.  Pretty nice that the fact when the requirements changed these companies are not quickly making tap and pay apps...

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

I may be confused here. I used Wallet on my GNex years ago and on my current G2.  I downloaded from Play but had had the apk long before.  ISIS and AMEX and VZW never really meshed well and their combined service failed me.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

GNex were white listed. It's a Google product.

The G2 needed a modified OS or apk to work until 4.4 was released.

Anyway from a few months ago wallet shouldn't work for older devices from what I remember. Everything is following the new protocol introduced at 4.4 and the old one was retired.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Correct. Older devices previous to 4.4 are no longer supported.

0 Likes
phixx79
Contributor - Level 1

Verizon has had a deal with ISIS in the pipes for a long time.  They were testing it before the NFC payment stuff was bag back before the Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 7 were awkwardly trying to touch enough other to transfer data and make paying for stuff super weird.  ISIS, now Softcard has a different system that works in a different way.  The rollout for it is still not complete, mostly because a lot of places haven't bought into this.  Apple's solution to this just shows how much pull they have these days... which is to say, A LOT.  It may not be innovation, but it has a hell of a lot more people on board for it. 

Just sign up for an account with Softcard, it probably works at more places than Google Wallet these days.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

GW works anywhere PayPass works. ISIS works in 3 stores in my area. GW has always worked for me for 4 years now all over my town and is also linked to my accounts. ISIS never did work so I always had to use my AMEX Serve card which defeated my purpose of having it as a backup payment source in emergencies where I'd have my phone and not my wallet or cards.  Plus ISIS would auto transfer from my accounts where as with GW if it was stolen then money couldn't be auto loaded from a funding source. Add also MasterCard and Google work together whereas ISIS worked with and against the card or bank company and VZW plus since it is on several carriers you might possible have to call ISIS, the card issuer or bank, and VZW.  ISIS is messy for me. I know other retailers are trying to band together to create their own NFC programs so until everything catches on and up it'll be GW for me.  I doubt there will ever be a unified NFC payment method just like credit and debit cards. Each business will have to decide which methods to accept.  And...who knows.  Google may end up selling Wallet anyway.

0 Likes