Why is there a delay receiving group messages from iphones?
UbiquitousNovelty
Enthusiast - Level 2

I recently got a Droid Turbo and have observed around a 5 minute delay receiving group messages from iphones. I've tried several popular messaging apps; I haven't had an iphone before, so it's not the known problem when switching from iOS to android; and single messages are fine. When in a group message including iphones, the iphones get my MMS messages almost instantly, but when they reply it's like 5 minutes before I get it. I've heard it's normal for there to be a delay between iphone and android, but is several minutes really normal and does anyone know why? Also, the iphones in question were also on Verizon's network, so it's not like two separate carrier networks, unless maybe iphone group messages go through Apple servers and there's some interfacing delay there for non-iphones? Even if there's not a fix, I would like to understand why this happens. Any insight appreciated.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Why is there a delay receiving group messages from iphones?
tbo27
Master - Level 2

Yes turning off WiFi is a good step. While mms uses mobile data it doesn't come out of the users allotment of data just whatever their plan for texting is and most are unlimited anyways these days.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Your group messages are important, UbiquitousNovelty ! Let's figure this out, together. Do you happen to notice this 5 minute delay when your Droid Turbo is connected to our 4G LTE network or a Wifi network?  Does this happen when using Group Messaging without a picture attached? Please share more details so we can help.

0 Likes
UbiquitousNovelty
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for responding. When I tested this, I was in a group with two iphones, and all three of us had 4G LTE with mobile data enabled, but we were also connected to a Wi-Fi network (I suppose the Wi-Fi connection would have priority over the mobile data by default to reduce unnecessary mobile data usage?). The messages were just text (and pretty short too). I called them "MMS messages" because I had the setting to "use MMS for group messages" enabled. Do you think it would be helpful to try turning off the Wi-Fi connection and see what effect that has?

0 Likes
tbo27
Master - Level 2

Yes turning off WiFi is a good step. While mms uses mobile data it doesn't come out of the users allotment of data just whatever their plan for texting is and most are unlimited anyways these days.

0 Likes
Bcoliver

Same thing happening to me.  Droid Razr HD.  It's happening as type this.  Been waiting 15 minutes for a group text to come through.  At first it show as "Downloading" from that specific contact.  When I finally get the message, it shows in a separate group thread.  I just turned the wireless off and it still didn't show the message, but it appeared immediately after I turned my wireless back on.  It's a major hassle.  Texting is supposed to be convenient.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
I completely agree Bcoliver! I too rely on text messages and prefer this method of communications since it is more convenient for me. A 15 minute delay does seem a bit long. How long have you noticed this happening? What application are you using to text, native application or a 3rd party app? Do you notice this delay with a specific person in the group text or everyone in the group?
JorgeO_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!
0 Likes
jlepley

It's nice to see that this was never answered! Its ridiculous how long it takes for my group messages. I have a galaxy s5, using the verizon messenger app, always on 4lte, and my wife has the s4 having the exact same problem. I am in a group with 6 people, 4 of whom have iphones. I get a message, and respond. Says its sending or sent to some, but while waiting i get 5 more messages from others in the group and then finally mine goes through 5 to 10 minutes later if at all. I just downloaded chomp sms (3rd party app), and am having no problems. Verizon get your heads out of your butts and fix your app. this is the 21 century come on.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I understand the importance of ensuring your messages are working correctly jlepley. Do you experience the delay only when using the Verizon Messages app? I understand you are currently using a third party app. However, have you tried using the standard messaging app? Has group messaging ever worked correctly when using the Verizon Messaging application?

Thank You,

MichelleS_VZW Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
jlepley

Since I upgraded to lollipop it has not worked correctly. Before upgrading I did not use the Verizon messenger app. I have not tried the default samsung messaging app. When I just switched over to it, and tried to text the group conversation it says "unable to send messages". I don't even want to bother with that. I am using chomp sms now and have absolutely no issues.

0 Likes