Why is the Galaxy S5 killing SD Cards?
DizTheMan

I am really sick of reading about people with corrupt SD Cards and seeing answers given by some very lazy idiots about how their card is bad. This is a lazy answer! If you don't know what your talking about, don't post. I have been in the tech field for over 20 years and this is the worst case of bad hardware mixed with a crappy OS that I have seen since Windows ME! The problem isn't the SD Cards and if your a tech who has told users their SD Card is bad, you need to find a new job. The SD cards are not the problem. Android knows it. Verizon knows it. Samsung knows it. Those big 3 need to get off there lazy bottom sides and fix the issue with the phones so they do not cost anyone else lost memories.

I had a 64gb SanDisk Ultra Plus that filled up and the phone came up and said the card has an unsupported file system or needs to be formatted. Now that is the biggest bunch of garbage I have ever heard. First, the card was reading fine till the phone decided it was full and decided to make sure it was unreadable. What really bothers me is that no one has a fix for this and they are telling people to format their cards, or go get a new card.

Second, why does my phone see the card and my computer doesn't? I can see the both items not seeing the card if it were corrupted but I don't believe or buy into the so called techs saying that the cards are bad. I find it hard to believe that Samsung or any other card maker is putting out that many bad cards. If thats the case someone needs to loose their job for costing the end users tons of money and an uncountable amount in lost data. It has cost me the last images of both my father and my grand mother who both passed away just a few weeks ago. That is a cost you selfish greedy bastards could never find enough money to cover but I bet I can find one that will ease the pain and maybe that what needs to happen to get your companies to address the issues with these phones. I for one have gathered quite a large amount of information and with no answers in sight or being released by the parties involved, I may have no other option.

Why is the card unreadable? What format has the phone put on the card? Why doesn't Samsung or Android address the issue? Why is Verizon not pressuring Samsung and Android about the issue?

Get your heads out of your dark spot and fix the issue or based on the information I've been able to accumulate, it's time for a Class Action Lawsuit against any and all parties involved. Not addressing the issue is costing people money and memories. I for one vote for Class Action Lawsuit just because all the companies involved need a good ass whooping for letting the issue go this long without a fix.

Ready To Sue

Labels (1)
Re: Why is the Galaxy S5 killing SD Cards?
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

If a memory card is 100% full (meaning 0 bytes of free space), the phone will be unable to perform the "mounting" process of an SD card. Mounting an SD card requires a very tiny amount of space on the drive. Additionally, a very full SD Card also prevents the flash memory from performing wear leveling correctly. This can lead to the premature death of a flash card, a phone's internal storage, or an SSD, but generally you'd have to be abusing the disk pretty badly or have a really bad software bug around to constantly write to the card, thus killing it.

It sounds like you have general filesystem corruption. If the card is truly not dead, you'll need to use a tool such as PhotoRec (command-line based, free, and easy to use if you follow some online guides on how to use it) to recover the data and then format the card again. Do not save recovered data directly back to the SD card until after all data is retrieved, stored to a computer, the SD Card is formatted, and is found to be ready to use. SD cards must be formatted to exFAT (recommended) or FAT32 for Android to use.

Regardless with that said, I wouldn't be surprised if there were or are software issues causing corruption. The Lollipop upgrade for the S5 was found to have numerous memory management issues, and Verizon has actually been really slow (a couple months...) to roll out Samsung's 5.1.1 update which addresses a number of issues with the initial Lollipop and Stagefright fix updates.

0 Likes