Why doesn't the menu button work anymore?
itzme
Enthusiast - Level 2

After a factory reset (and then much time spent getting home screen set up), my menu key brings up settings for the screen (wallpaper, widgets, etc).

I did a factory reset to get rid of the latest upgrade (upgrade?)..

Now I get email notifications as I'm supposed to get.

But the menu key does not bring up anything except as mentioned above..

So how do I get it back to it's intended function?

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Galaxy s4 menu key has no menu after factory reset
Tidbits
Legend

On the S4 it used to be a menu button. With lollipop it changed to the recent menu instead.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

Doing a factory reset didn't get rid of the update, but doing one often solves a lot of the smaller issues that happen afterwards.

Which key are you considering your menu key? The main and only push button on the front that's meant to take you back to the home screen?

0 Likes
itzme
Enthusiast - Level 2

Whatever the reset did, it did get my email notifications back.

The touch key to the left of the Main (Home) key is what is supposed to be the Menu key.

"Settings" used to one of the options in that menu.

Now that touch key only brings up "Wallpapers", "Widgets" and "Home Screen Settings".

"Home Screen Settings" brings up "Transition effect", whatever that is.

Nothing is like the old menu options.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

The menu key is now a recent app screen. Menu should now be a 3 dot icon. If one isn't present I believe you hold down the recent apps "menu" a second. If that doesn't work then it may be the back button for a second. Which device so you have?

0 Likes
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

I have the S5 and when I press what I consider the "back" button; left of the home key, it brings up recent apps so you can close them all easily, that way they don't run in the background. You also can open task manager. If you hold down the "back" button, that's when you will put up the Widget/Wallpaper/Home screen Settings.

What did that button do before for you?

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

On the S4 it used to be a menu button. With lollipop it changed to the recent menu instead.

0 Likes
itzme
Enthusiast - Level 2

You are correct, Tidbits.

Yes it is a menu for the current screen only.

I found what appears to be the latest user guide for the SCH I545, on the Samsung site, not the Verizon site.

It seems to apply for the latest OS and explains the Menu Button and how to get to the general settings.

I put the Settings icon shortcut on my home screen.

So I'm happy about my original "complaint".

0 Likes