Re: Why are incoming MMS pictures blurry and pixelated?
Snn5
Legend

That has some info in it that might help address the whys of the issue.

0 Likes
goaliedude3919
Enthusiast - Level 2

I deleted all my texts except for one (one text, not just conversation, the conversation literally had only one text that wasn't a picture) and it still does the same thing. I disabled automatically downloading MMS and saw that each image comes in as 30 KB. I get that you can't send a 3 MB image, but that's an absurd amount of compression.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

I read that:

Go SMS, MMS has a settings and check box that says preserve image resolution and voila, no more screen shot MMS problems.

That's just from a recent search though on how to disable mms compression.

0 Likes
goaliedude3919
Enthusiast - Level 2

Unfortunately that had no effect on anything.

http://i.imgur.com/oYtJg4B.png

http://i.imgur.com/aDDmkyH.png

Even when setting the limit in Go SMS to 5 MB, the incoming image is still 30 KB.

I'm starting to lose hope that this is going to get resolved. Might be time to look into AT&T or Sprint. I know Sprint will buy out your contract, not sure about AT&T though.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Switching to another provider isn't going to help or change anything here.  It's a hardware/software issue and we just need to find a fix for the current handsets.

0 Likes
goaliedude3919
Enthusiast - Level 2

So does anyone have any more ideas other than try to replace the phone? Because at this point, that's the only thing I can think of that I haven't tried.

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

i've got nothing. i checked a handful of threads out there on the same issue and nobody seems to have been able to improve this, short of using email (which isn't acceptable to me). i have a hard time believing that there's no fix other than getting a different phone, but i can't find one.

goaliedude3919
Enthusiast - Level 2

I appreciate you looking. That's pretty much the conclusion that I came to after searching about this issue. Everyone just blames it on the limitations of MMS, but I know for a fact that you can receiver higher quality MMS than 30KB. It's especially fishy that it only started happening once I got my new phone. And the fact that it is also happening to my wife makes me severely doubt that it's a problem with the phone, since the odds of us both getting a defective phone are pretty damn slim. I'm not sure what kind of hardware issue could even cause something like this. There has to be something on Verizon's end causing this.

AZSALUKI
Legend

i tend to think it's that model of phone because other threads had moto x users on different carriers with the issue. also, i have a droid turbo on verizon with no issue. i would think if it were verizon, we would all have this issue.

0 Likes
goaliedude3919
Enthusiast - Level 2

So Textra was basically the one texting app I hadn't tried yet so for kicks and giggles I tried it out. And it fixed it! I don't know why, but texts received in Textra are perfect quality. This makes no sense to me. Why would Textra be the only app that receives high quality MMS? At least I know there isn't anything wrong with my phone since it is clearly capable of receiving higher quality MMS.