Why Am I Unable To Type To Text Or Respond To Email?
DOTH_HARRYMCG
Enthusiast - Level 2

I think I deleted the app for this, but not sure which one. Was told had insufficient storage, so I deleted or uninstalled several apps.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: unable to type to text or respond to email.
DOTH_HARRYMCG
Enthusiast - Level 2

I ended up chatting with a live rep.

Problem now SOLVED.

First, confirmed that I had google keyboard downloaded by going to google play store, voice commanding google to install Google keyboard, and saw that it was already installed.

Then, went to Settings, scroll down to Personal, then Language & Input, - tap that

Scroll to Keyboard and Input methods, then Default - notice that checkmark is beside "Google voice typing'

Uncheck this, check Google keyboard (which led to a faint checkmark - not as bright as it was when by google voice typing) - anyway, tapped on the icon to the right of it - randomly picked 'Theme' to tap and make a change, = then backed out of settings

Went to messaging and gmail and HURRAY, newly chosed theme was there and the keyboard popped up when I tapped on the blinking cursor.

Hope this helps someone.

Also, the live chat tech gave me other ways to delete pics, browser stuff, etc to decrease stored data

Cut and paste from that:

From the Home screen, navigate: Apps icon > Chrome Chrome icon.

Note If unavailable, navigate: Apps icon > Google > Chrome.

Note If Apps icon isn't available, from a Home screen tap Chrome.

1. Tap the Menu icon Menu button icon (located in the upper-right).
  2. Tap Settings.
  3. From the Advanced section, tap Privacy.
  4. Tap Clear Browsing Data (located at the bottom).
  5. From the Clear browsing data prompt select from the following then tap Clear:

Note Selected when a check mark is present. ◦  Browsing history

Note A listing of URLs (website addresses) that you like to visit.

◦              Cookies and site data

Note Some cookies contain customized preference and login information for past websites you like to visit. If you delete this, the website may prompt for this info again.

◦              Cached images and files

Note Your website visits content is stored on the device. The cache enables the browser to download only the content that has changed since the last time you went to a website. Since the browser only downloads changed content, pages are loaded faster.

◦              Saved passwords

◦              Autofill form data

They also advised keeping only @ 200 photos on the phone at any one time - back up to email or the cloud.  Also power off the phone at least once a week.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Did you delete your keyboard application? Go into the Settings to select the pre-installed keyboard.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
DOTH_HARRYMCG
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi, I'm responding from my laptop.

I don't see "Keyboard' listed in the settings list.

Would it be under the heading:

- Wireless and networks

- Device

- Personal

- Accounts

- System

Thanks,

Dot

0 Likes
DOTH_HARRYMCG
Enthusiast - Level 2

under apps, I see Google keyboard. and yes, I had previously hit uninstall

or something.

The options now are to press :

- force stop

- uninstall updates

- Disable

I can see that the storage for this is :

- Total 25,26 MB

- App 25.09 MB

- Data 172 KB. I had already hit 'clear data'

- Cache is 24 kb

the heading Launch by default' has under it "no defaults set"

0 Likes
DOTH_HARRYMCG
Enthusiast - Level 2

at this point , the only option I have is to use "OK Google Now" voice commands - which I would rather not do since I like that text/ typing is silent.

Thank you for trying to help.  I'm wondering if there is any alternative besides backing up stuff, then resetting to factory defaults...

0 Likes
AntonioC_VZW
Verizon Employee

We certainly want to assist you further and resolve this issue for you, DOTH.HARRYMCG. We need some additional information. When did this issue start? What is your phone model?

AntonioC_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

DOTH_HARRYMCG
Enthusiast - Level 2

I ended up chatting with a live rep.

Problem now SOLVED.

First, confirmed that I had google keyboard downloaded by going to google play store, voice commanding google to install Google keyboard, and saw that it was already installed.

Then, went to Settings, scroll down to Personal, then Language & Input, - tap that

Scroll to Keyboard and Input methods, then Default - notice that checkmark is beside "Google voice typing'

Uncheck this, check Google keyboard (which led to a faint checkmark - not as bright as it was when by google voice typing) - anyway, tapped on the icon to the right of it - randomly picked 'Theme' to tap and make a change, = then backed out of settings

Went to messaging and gmail and HURRAY, newly chosed theme was there and the keyboard popped up when I tapped on the blinking cursor.

Hope this helps someone.

Also, the live chat tech gave me other ways to delete pics, browser stuff, etc to decrease stored data

Cut and paste from that:

From the Home screen, navigate: Apps icon > Chrome Chrome icon.

Note If unavailable, navigate: Apps icon > Google > Chrome.

Note If Apps icon isn't available, from a Home screen tap Chrome.

1. Tap the Menu icon Menu button icon (located in the upper-right).
  2. Tap Settings.
  3. From the Advanced section, tap Privacy.
  4. Tap Clear Browsing Data (located at the bottom).
  5. From the Clear browsing data prompt select from the following then tap Clear:

Note Selected when a check mark is present. ◦  Browsing history

Note A listing of URLs (website addresses) that you like to visit.

◦              Cookies and site data

Note Some cookies contain customized preference and login information for past websites you like to visit. If you delete this, the website may prompt for this info again.

◦              Cached images and files

Note Your website visits content is stored on the device. The cache enables the browser to download only the content that has changed since the last time you went to a website. Since the browser only downloads changed content, pages are loaded faster.

◦              Saved passwords

◦              Autofill form data

They also advised keeping only @ 200 photos on the phone at any one time - back up to email or the cloud.  Also power off the phone at least once a week.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

That's what I suspected. The keyboard you had previously was removed and it defaulted to the voice typing instead of an actual keyboard application.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
DOTH_HARRYMCG
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks Ann.

BLUETHUNDER97526
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yea been there

0 Likes