What's up with HTC & Verizon 2017?
MIKEYPUGS0134

I'm only on my second smart phone, in the past.... 7 years.  However, I've been keeping up with the newer models, because my HTC DNA is like 4 years old now.  It's still working well, never really had any issues, other than battery life.  But I see that's a problem all over these days; I like to say, we live in the 'battery age' lol.

To the point: What's up with HTC?  Verizon, took down the HTC 10, it isn't available.  I contacted them and asked, when will HTC be coming out with a new device for your site?  They said, contact the manufacturer.  So I did, and HTC INC US, told me, contact verizon; or, you can buy directly from our site.  Unfortunately, I'm not in the position to buy from anyone but Verizon, besides, I'm happy with the service.  I live deep in the mountains, and I still get signals, weak, but usable.  I read a bunch of news about the HTC UlTRA and some others coming out; to T-Mobile and AT&T---ONLY!!!  That's nonsense.

I am aware... that the Google Pixel and the Pixel XL, are made by HTC.  But the worst thing they did here; no option for external storage!  They give you unlimited (storage):pictures and videos, but they are stored off your device.  And I know, a lot of us out there, we want our videos and pictures on our device only.  I could go on, I'm so frustrated.

I'm sorry, a family member got me very attached to HTC devices.  So ATTN:  If Verizon workers are reading......  What's up with the newer HTC Models?  Contract issues, corporate, something isn't right.  I keep getting emails, to upgrade my phones.  I have more than one line.  I will do that, when the new HTC Device comes to Verizon.

So: What's up with HTC and Verizon in 2017?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: What's up with HTC & Verizon 2017?
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

One possible scenario about HTC is mirrored by Microsoft, HP and Alcatel.

All of the latest Windows phones are designed for GSM carriers only. None of them were submitted for CDMA certification. As such, none can be used on Verizon Wireless, Sprint and US Cellular.

Microsoft, HP and Alcatel, in a nutshell, have determined that it is not financially feasible to go the CDMA route, thus, the Lumia 735 is the only Windows phone left for Verizon Wireless customers to purchase. At some point the 735 will disappear as Microsoft has ended Lumia production.

Now Verizon Wireless will be capping the existing CDMA network once the next generation network is implemented in 2018 or 2019.

The upshot is that HTC may be stepping back from Verizon Wireless until the new network is in service.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The HTC 10 is still available. HTC 10 | Verizon Wireless

So the 128 GB model of the Pixel or Pixel XL isn't large enough for you? Plus full resolution backup to Google Photos will allow you to dump the photos and videos from the internal memory space of the phone.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
MIKEYPUGS0134

Thank You so much, Dexman!  I apologize, I never even seen your reply until today.  And I am still waiting on HTC; lol.  But not much longer.... I just need to decide what brand will suite me.  One question I do have; if you check back; why, does Verizon and Sprint, stick with CDMA?  Why not go GSM?  I often referred to GSM, as GSP; because it's a very (world wide) popular technology.

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Verizon Wireless, Sprint and US Cellular opted to go the CDMA route while at&t, T-Mobile and others went with GSM. I'm not sure what the deciding factor(s) was/were, but, once the decision was made and the network was being built out, there was no going back.

Verizon Wireless is, currently, in the process of getting it's new 5G network installed. There is some testing going on in limited areas.

At some point, after the 5G network is put into service...and...new 5G phones are brought to market...the existing 4G/LTE/CDMA network will be closed off to new activations.

For an indeterminate amount of time, Verizon Wireless will operate both networks concurrently. As people upgrade their phones & other devices, traffic on the old network will decrease. Eventually, the old network will be shut down.

0 Likes
MIKEYPUGS0134

Sorry Ann, I missed your comment.  Google photos, seems to have taken over on the Android phones, all except Samsung; they still have the stock gallery.  There is a lot of talk about this online; folks miss their good old (Gallery) button.  Besides, Google Photos, is an external app, running on its own process; hence; battery drain. 

Thanks for explaining that Dex.  I'm going to go out on a limb; what would you do, either one of you; if you were due to upgrade, and needed a new phone because your current phone's battery doesnt really hold a charge??  I am looking at Android phone.  And I copy Ann, the Pixel and XL, scared me; them were in fact manufactured by HTC; I didn't trust the 'glass' back.  I think if I wait another, maybe month; the Pixel 2 should be coming out; get this one.... Google must not have been happy with HTC making their Pixel and XL; because the new Pixel 2 by Google; is manufactured by LG.  Everyone have a nice day.  I'm still waiting...

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

I don't notice any battery drain with Google Photos on my phone. I actually prefer that application to the old Gallery application after using it on a few phones now.

The glass back on the Pixel phones only covers part of the phone.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

I wouldn't worry about upgrading now. The 4G network isn't going anywhere for the foreseeable future.

The target year for the 5G network to be put into service in earnest is 2019.

0 Likes