Was there an update of some sort last night? Unexplained 7 hour data usage
rexsichic
Enthusiast - Level 3

I noticed both my Bionic and the Razr on my account used data from around midnight last night until 7:38 this morning, roughly every 15 minutes. The Bionic used different amounts each time, something like .234kb, but the Razr used something like .0002kb. The Bionic data usage was 1 minute before the Razr each time. The Bionic has notifications like email and Facebook, but the Razr has no email or social apps installed to receive notifications. My concern is the Razr is on a 2gb plan, so I would like to know where all this data went, since both of us were sleeping while this happened.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Was there an update of some sort last night? Unexplained 7 hour data usage
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

Hey,

I was just thinking about your problem, figuring out where the mysterious data usage came from.  I was wondering, if you have any applications set to update automatically in the Google Play area.  You can check by going into Google Play, pressing the Menu key and selecting My Apps.  Look at each installed app to see if you have Allow Automatic Updating checked.  That might explain the usage. 

Also, I know on my device, my Gmail account updates the calendar, etc. at least once a day.  Just throwing out a couple of ideas.  Hope this helps.

Doc

0 Likes
rexsichic
Enthusiast - Level 3

It would have to be the same exact apps on both phones for this to happen, as it was around every 15 minutes on both phones for 7 hours. One phone being 1 minute before the other. The Razr has little to no apps installed. The only apps which are on both phones would be the data widget (if it's even an "app"), WheresMyDroid and gmail. The Razr user doesn't use email or any social apps, but I use Yahoo and FaceBook on my Bionic.

0 Likes
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

Hey,

Ok, I understand, now.  I am not sure where or why the data occurs.  I did see a lot of similar stories scattered across the internet with users of different devices on different carriers.  I hope someone offers a better explaination than I did.  I will continue to monitor this thread.  Sorry I could help much.

Doc

AZSALUKI
Legend

check your account sync settings (facebook, gmail, etc). see if they are set to sync often.

0 Likes
rexsichic
Enthusiast - Level 3

My apps on the Bionic ARE set to sync often. The Razr has very few apps period. He does no emailing, no FB or MySpace, etc. Because of the times on both phones, I assume it's something we have in common. That's why I was wondering if it was an update of some sort.

0 Likes
Jakeman1
Master - Level 1

I used to have the same issue. What I found by using Onavo Count (a data monitoring app) is that most of the Bloatware Verizon puts on the phones calls home nightly to get updates, or data to feed you if you happen to use the apps.  Unfortunately on my Maxx and Bionic, I used NONE of the apps that were using my Data.  Onavo also has the ability to change how an app uses data by limiting it to Wi-Fi Only and once I did that, my data usage went from 2.5 GB per month down to just under .5 GB per month on my bionic, and from 5.3 GB per month on the Maxx to just over 3GB per month.

If you have Ice Cream Sandwich on the Razr, you can also disable these Bloatware apps and that will stop it from accessing your data. At the very least Onavo can tell you which apps are using the data.

I would suspect the Data ia being used by Backup assistant, or My Verizon Mobil, or a social media app.

0 Likes
rexsichic
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks! I haven't gotten to play around with the Razr since that update, but hopefully tomorrow I can check it out. I just DL it on my Bionic and so far so good. How do you exit the app though or does it stay running?

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

i would assume it runs constantly if it's going to constantly monitor your device.

0 Likes
Jakeman1
Master - Level 1

It stays running in the background but with a very small footprint.  Uses almost no battery and almost no data, but the added benefit it does give, more then makes up for what it uses.