Want to get an Eris...
deadlyvirus

I want to upgrade to a shiny new Eris but I have some questions.

I am currently hooked onto a Family plan with no data plan, so does the Eris require one? I don't really want the data plan, just a shiny phone. Also, about how much will it cost?

Thanks

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Want to get an Eris...
scajjr2

Yes a data plan is mandatory with a smartphone. The $30 plan gives you unlimited internet and is the plan I got for my Eris.

Sam

0 Likes
deadlyvirus

Well, that's kind of lame. I don't want a data plan. Are there any touch phones that do not require a data plan?

0 Likes
scajjr2

Go to your VZW account on their web site and see what regular phones are available to you that have touchscreens (won't be Android phones, they are smartphones).

The LG enV Touch is a touchscreen phone that doesn't require a data plan. My fiance was looking at one last night but the more she plays around with my Eris the more she's leaning toward it or the Moto Droid (if she wants a regular keyboard).

Sam

0 Likes
deadlyvirus

I'll take a peek when I can get a hold of my account master person, I was going to get a enV touch a while ago, but they were spendy. Probably cheaper now. OOOOoooo just make the Droid phones data free because they are soooooo sexy!!

Thanks Sam

0 Likes
scajjr2

Unfortunately cell phone providers don't want you just using wifi, they wouldn't make money that way. So they've figured out requiring a data plan for a smart phone contract makes them money.

Now you can buy a smartphone from a number of sources and just use the wifi. Not sure if any pre-paid voice plans are out there for smartphones but search the net.

Sam

0 Likes
deadlyvirus

Well, I was thinking that I could get one off say eBay and activate for my account, but I have read that that doesn't work. I don't want to buy one and only be able to use it as a paperweight.

0 Likes
fezzik
Contributor - Level 3

Well you could buy it off ebay and use it as a pda but again that wouldn't be much fun either.  The data plan is faster than the wi-fi options that are available to me most places so I kind of prefer it. 

0 Likes
deadlyvirus

Well, I do not want an additional 30 bucks a month tacked onto my bill. That would triple it just for a feature I do not want. But buying off of eBay would work? I would be able to activate and everything?

0 Likes
Androidatic
Enthusiast - Level 3
I have an Eris and without a data plan it's pretty pointless IMO. Android was built around internet access and without it, it's basically much useless.
0 Likes