Verizon Galaxy Nexus - Defective Charging Port
postmasterp
Enthusiast - Level 2

Bought my Galaxy Nexus in April of 2012, along with insurance on the phone. Love the phone and the pure Android experience. However, back in February, I woke up one morning and noticed that even though my phone was plugged in, the battery was not charging. I tried using different cords and my spare battery, neither fixed the issue, which meant that the charging port on the phone was defective. I brought it to a VZW store, and since the issue occurred within a year of purchasing the phone, they sent me a certified pre-owned galaxy nexus as a replacement (They had to send me three replacement phones total because the first two would not boot properly, but that's a different story.)

So here I am, 5 months later, and I woke up one morning and discover the same issue. Phone is plugged in (using the original charger that come with the original phone by the way), but it is not charging. Won't charge with a different cord, won't charge with a different battery, which means that the port is defective. I take the phone to the Verizon store, and am informed that A) my year-long warranty has run out, so if I want to replace the phone I will have to pay full retail price for it, and B) The default insurance plan on these phones only covers cracked screens or lost devices. The VZW support rep actually suggested that I damage the screen on the phone before sending it to the insurance company, because otherwise they would send it back and refuse to replace it.

So to recap, Verizon sold me a defective device, replaced it with another defective device, and now in order to fulfill the remaining nine months of my contract with them, I will have to purchase another device at full retail value. That's $600-$700 I'm expected to pay just to continue adhering to the terms of my contract. For now, I went on amazon and bought an external battery charger which I now have to carry with me at all times, which is an unacceptable solution for the next nine months. Surely there has to be a better option?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Verizon Galaxy Nexus - Defective Charging Port
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We understand the need of a reliable device postmasterp! We certainly do not want to leave you without a working phone. It appears that you have done some troubleshooting which is very helpful. I would like to look into further options so that I can better assist. I just sent you a follow request, please follow back. Send me a private message with your name and mobile number so that I can better assist.

Thank you,

LenaA_VZW
Please follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Twiesner
Enthusiast - Level 2

1 800 SAM SUNG

they fixed mine for $70.38

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

How long did Samsung have your phone for the repair?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Twiesner
Enthusiast - Level 2

7 day turn arround...  hopefully you still have your old phone to reactivate'

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Twiesner wrote:

7 day turn arround...  hopefully you still have your old phone to reactivate'

That's pretty fast. It could be worse at two weeks or more. Thankfully my Nexus charging port works fine. Even if I did have to send it in, I do have another device to activate.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
postmasterp
Enthusiast - Level 2

And you were happy to pay that?

0 Likes
philkanz

Did Verizon ever help you with this?  I am having the same problem.  I bought the phone in December of 11 then the port went bad again and had to send it to Samsung in November of 2012 since it was still in warranty.  Now it is doing the same thing again.  I think that its ridiculous that a phone can not even last the full term of a contract. The phone is in perfect shape and well taken care of but the device itself fails.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hey there philkanz,

I am sorry to hear about your Samsung Nexus having issues. It is a great phone and I want to make sure we keep you up and running.  We don't anticipate the devices having issues, but if they do we have the manufactures warranty and insurance to work with to make sure that you have a fully functional functional phone for the length of the agreement.

Is there any physical or water damage to the device? Have you tried a different charger? Do you have insurance on the phone?

Please provide additional assistance so I can better assist.

NicholasB_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
philkanz

This is the same problem I had in the past and Samsung fixed the phone

under warranty. Since a warranty is only 1 year and not the length of the

contract it doesn't help anymore. I do not have insurance and the phone

has never been wet. I have to wiggle the port or reset something on the

connect to have it charge properly. Verizon was unwilling to help me the

last time I had this issue since I purchased the phone new from Amazon. I

would appreciate it if you could help.