VZW Note 3 can't hear the caller, unless phone is put into speakerphone mode? Any fixes yet? Started after android 5.0 update
Hunterx41
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ever since I updated my Verizon Wireless Samsung Note 3, I can no longer hear the caller, unless I put my phone into speakerphone mode. I have researched the topic and it seems to be a common problem with many phones of many carriers. I have tried many suggested fixes to no avail. This include factory restoring, removing sim card, safe mode restart, reboots, and battery removal. I have no idea what could be causing this. Asked Verizon support who told me to call support, but no one has seem any changes after calling. Looked into getting a replacement with total mobile protection, and Asurion says it occurred less than one year after purchase which is untrue, bought phone 12-13-13 problem started 5-15-15, which is well over a year. Plus, a hundred dollar deductible?, why pay 11$ for something I use once, and have to pay on top of that? Even still the Asurion won't let me even do a claim because of the TMP and saying it is a manufacturer's problem, since it "supposedly" happened less than a year after purchase.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: VZW Note 3 can't hear the caller, unless phone is put into speakerphone mode? Any fixes yet? Started after android 5.0 update
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hunterx41

Being able to use a phone like it is meant to be used if very important. Lets get that working for you. Do you have any damage to the device at all? The only time you would want to file an insurance claim and pay the deductible would be if there was any damage to the phone or if the phone was stolen or missing. Before you put your phone into speakerphone, can the other caller hear you? Do you have any Bluetooth or headset connected to the phone? Is the volume turned up all the way when you are on a call?

ChristopherM_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Re: VZW Note 3 can't hear the caller, unless phone is put into speakerphone mode? Any fixes yet? Started after android 5.0 update
Hunterx41
Enthusiast - Level 2

There is not really any damage to the phone other than cosmetic wear on the outside. Yes, the caller can hear me before the phone is put into speakerphone mode, but i hear nothing on my end not even static. I do not have any Bluetooth devices connected (the Bluetooth is off in settings) Just tried again to see the call volume level, it is maxed and still no sounds are made.

0 Likes
retiredelectronicengi

You must alter the Samsung DEFAULT  setup. Volume is defaulted at the factory. Google the program code .  Using the touch tone pad type in a string of digits . Have the store do it.  It is limited so you can't sue them for hurting your ears.

0 Likes
Hunterx41
Enthusiast - Level 2

I looked into that and I just don't see how to do it. Also how would it have changed somehow? I mean the phone worked perfect until the update and all a sudden I can't hear a thing.

0 Likes
retiredelectronicengi

it was a pain in the butt to reply to this blog. I wont be making the effort again so I hope this works for you Hunter.  https://www.google.com/search?q=android+change+default+volume&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hunterx41, thanks for those details. Do you have 3rd party applications downloaded to your device? Some applications can affect the performance of it. Try running that device in safe mode which places your phone in diagnostic mode. Click the link below for the steps:

http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-88613/

LasinaH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Hunterx41
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just tried safe mode and the problem still persisted. So now that a 3rd party causes is ruled out (potentially). I assume the problem is either software or a hardware malfunction. I have tried nearly every single potential fix and still nothing seems to resolve the issue.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hunterx41,

We want to see this through and get your phone working properly again. Thanks for testing the phone out in Safe Mode. Since the trouble began after the update, let's try repairing the software. Use this link http://vz.to/1Uc3A3e for repair information. Step 1 on the page will provide a link to information on how to install the tool needed to complete the repair.

ShawnteJ_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Hunterx41
Enthusiast - Level 2

I appreciate the help, but I plug the phone in a get to the CD Drive (F:) Verizon and click the VZW_Software_upgrade_assistant and the only thing that happens in the folder window blinks once and then nothing as if i never clicked it. I am using windows 8.1 and i looked at the other instructions and says look in the icon tray, i have no Verizon apps in the icon tray. There is no AutoPlay popup other that it asking what do i want to do with SM-900V when it is plugged in, which i chose open file explorer to view files.

This is what I see when the phone is plugged in:

Capture.PNG

0 Likes