Using the IM app that comes on the Samsung Stratosphere
Thorxes
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have 2 questions.

1 - 2 people at my verizon store, a verizon tech support guy, and various places online have all confirmed that using the IM app (gives access to AIM, Windows Messenger, and yahoo messenger)  that comes with the phone uses data and not texts.   My question is....is there any way that these can somehow be configured to use texts instead of data?

2 - Has anyone had problems using the windows messenger app? I tried using it....could hardly find anyone online, when they were standing next to me and clearly online. And then when they were online, they wouldn't get any of the messages I sent them, nor would I receive the messages they sent me.

I got fed up with is and just rolled with the AIM app instead. Seems to have the same capabilities.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Using the IM app that comes on the Samsung Stratosphere
Not applicable

Hi Thorxes:

I'd like to clarify the way that the Mobile IM charges when using the program.  Here's a link to let you know where I am pulling this information from: Mobile IM. It bills as a text message every time you send and receive a message using Mobile IM.  I grabbed one of our test Illusions, and when you initially open the application, you are presented with a VZW Legal terms and conditions acceptance pop up. In there, it also says that you will be billed in accordance with your then-current Verizon Wireless text, picture, and video messaging plan.

As far as Windows Messenger goes, you may be interested in downloading an app specifically for that type of messaging from the Market. If you have difficulties with it, you can always contact the developer too. An easy way to find out how an application bills is through the terms and conditions that pop up on the initial opening of the app.

I hope that answers your question.

Regards,

MikeS_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport 

0 Likes
Thorxes
Enthusiast - Level 2

Then why have 2 store sales reps and 1 tech support rep all said that the IM apps that come standard on the phone use the data plan?

The main reason I got the smartphone was because I was going over on my texts every month and would need to pay an extra $10 to get unlimited texting. The sales person I worked with told me that if I upgraded to a smartphone, I could use the IM app instead of texting. The sales rep saw that I had an old promotion where I get 500 texts + unlimited texts to Verizon phones and he said it was a fairly good plan and I wouldn’t be able to get it back once I switched from it. He stated that going to a smartphone would allow me to keep the text plan I had and keep me from going over each month.

I guess I’m within the 14 day window to send back my phone, but I don’t feel that I should have to pay a re-stocking fee or still be tied into the contract if the premise by which I re-signed was completely false.

0 Likes
Not applicable

I can't say that I disagree with you.  I just thought that I'd share the information that I came across. I would bring this to the attention of the sales rep you were working with when you originally purchased your phone. I don't know if that's a deal breaker for you, but it sounds like it may be.  I would also suggest keeping an eye on your text usage (dial #3282) and see if you are within your text message allowance. If you need to change text packages (even if it's just for this month), be sure to do so before the end of the billing cycle and backdate it.

If you have any complications with your store or billing experience, don't hesitate to DM me. I have followed you if you need anything, feel free to contact me.

Sorry again for the confusion. Let us know how it turns out for you.

Thanks,

MikeS_VZW

0 Likes
Thorxes
Enthusiast - Level 2

Mike,

Thanks for all the feedback. I took your advice and went back into the store today. I got to speak with the sales rep that initially helped me to verify the data/IM usage. He said that yes, the IM apps that come with the phone use data and not texts. Then he spoke with another sales rep and he confirmed it. I told him I'd just wait to hear back from customer service, since I had already called about the issue and they had put a ticket in to look into it further.

Once I got back to my house, the sales rep called my phone and said that he did some digging and that he had found the official verizon policy regarding the issue. He stated that those 3 IM apps that come with the phone use Texts, and that 3rd party IM apps will use data....so essentially the opposite of what he told me. Apparently the entire store was under the wrong impression as well, not just him.

He said he'd be updating his team with the new info and that he would speak to the store manager to get me a refund on any overages that this issue may have caused. Definitely a HUGE plus on Verizon in-store customer service!!! Smiley Happy 

So at least I can still IM without using texts...I just need to find an app that will do that for me. Got any advice in that area?

0 Likes
Not applicable

I'm glad everything got sorted out. I wish I could point you towards a specific application, but since they're 3rd party, I really can't advise of a specific one. If you open up the Market and search for "instant messenger," I'm sure you'll find what you are looking for.

Feel free to post any updates too.

Regards,

MikeS_VZW

0 Likes