Unlocked phones for Verizon Wireless
atkearns
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hello,

I recently create a discussion about the Sony Xperia Z because I could not find any information about it being offered for Verizon Wireless. So far, it sounds like it will not be. Trying to stay positive, I tried to look for the "next best" phone, maybe that will be on VZW. So another great find was the Oppo Find 5 (Review), but again on their website, no mention of VZW. (however they do show AT&T and T-Mobile)

What I would like to see, if it exists, is a list of 'unlocked' phones that are available (or will be available with dates) for Verizon Wireless. Does anybody know where this exists, or if it even does?

Thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Unlocked phones for Verizon Wireless
mdram4x4
Champion - Level 1

unlocked typically refers to gsm only providers

in order to operate on vzw network a phone must be certified by vzw.

what are you looking for in a phone that is so hard to find?

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

I think Verizon Wireless won't start allowing unlocked phones on their network until their have switched to VoLTE for the voice call.  If I understand the technology correctly, that is when Verizon Wireless will be on a GSM based network.  Then the manufacturers will have to start making phones with the right radios to access all the frequencies used by the carriers.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Voice and text are currently use the CMDA network so that's why a GSM phone won't work on Verizon. Unless you don't care about calls or texting. VoLTE will use Verizon's LTE network obviously. Not sure where text falls into that. Even once that's in place I doubt Verizon let's unlocked phones on the network until they refarm thier 1X and 3G spectrum. Which might not be for another 8 years.

dan_in_cupertino

Brian68, you sound pretty knowledgeable.  I just purchased a Samsung Galaxy Note, unlocked.  I bought it because the specs said that it communicates in "LTE 700 MHz Class 17 / 1700 / 2100" among other options.  Verizon's specs also say offer LTE communication.

When the phone arrived, I found that it has an AT&T sticker on it.  Verizon tells me there is no way to connect it to their network for phone calls, but I'm wondering whether this is really true.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

Besides the fact Verizon will only allow Verizon branded phones on their system, the 2 companies use different technologies for their phone calls.

AT&T uses GSM for their phone system.

Verizon currently uses CDMA for their phone system.

Not applicable

dan_in_cupertino wrote:

Brian68, you sound pretty knowledgeable.  I just purchased a Samsung Galaxy Note, unlocked.  I bought it because the specs said that it communicates in "LTE 700 MHz Class 17 / 1700 / 2100" among other options.  Verizon's specs also say offer LTE communication.

When the phone arrived, I found that it has an AT&T sticker on it.  Verizon tells me there is no way to connect it to their network for phone calls, but I'm wondering whether this is really true.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Verizon uses LTE 700 MHz in Band 13 not Band 17 that's one reason. And that's just for data. Verizon still uses CDMA for voice and texting which your at&t phone doesn't support. If you wanted a Galaxy Note II to use on Verizon you should have gotten one from Verizon.

0 Likes