Unlock Droid 3 for international SIM card?
BlueProteus

Hi all,

I'm in the U.S. now, but will be moving to Germany in a few weeks.

My Droid 3 is supposedly a "World Phone", but as of now, I would have only access through long-distance roaming once there.

My limited understanding from what I've found online is that my phone is locked, and would not work with other SIM cards.

I would need to contact Verizon to get an "unlock code" in order to use a different, international SIM card or service.

A few questions:

Someone said that once I do this, (unlock the phone) the phone won't work in the U.S. anymore. Is this true?

Once I move back to the states (probably in about a year) will I be able to switch it back somehow so that it will work here in the U.S.?

I tried doing this at the Verizon store at the mall, they said they can't do it there.

I'm guessing I need to call Verizon directly, and probably speak to a supervisor.

Any other info appreciated.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Unlock Droid 3 for international SIM card?
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

AFAIK, you can still use it here even after unlock.  In order to get an unlock code, you need to have it activated on Verizon's network, with a good payment record for 60 or 90 days, maybe more, I don't remember.

0 Likes
Re: Unlock Droid 3 for international SIM card?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello BlueProteus,

Your move to Germany sounds like an awesome experience!  I can confirm the device can be unlocked to be able to use a SIM card from an international carrier.  The device will still work in the United States once you come back.  There are cetain requirements that will need to be met in order to unlock the device.  Please reach out to our Global Support team at 800-711-8300 to discuss your options and review your eligibility to unlock.  I hope to see you back home soon! 

Thank You,

YaleK_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWsupport

0 Likes