Re: Unlimited Data
Not applicable

Vipersb1 wrote:

I must say I completely agree that Verizon has done their customers wrong here. I tried to sign a new contract but the Verizon employee said they do not offer the unlimited plan any more. They looked at my history and said I have never gone over 2gb so I should just get the 2gb plan. I said "okay, how much?" To my surprise they said it's the SAME price as your currently paying for unlimited. I could not believe this person was actually telling me this with a straight face. Lets put this in perspective. You buy a Corvette that will do 180 mph. You want to buy a new Corvette but the dealership says you never go over 85 so instead you should but this Chevy Malibu because it will do 85 mph which is all you need, oh, but you have to pay the same amount you were paying for the Vette. Yeah, I'm sure everyone would call that a good deal. Same thing Verizon is doing here. I for one will NEVER sign another contract Verizon. Basicly, they want you to pay the same amount for less. Sorry Verizon, not gonna bend over for that one. Give me the 2gb plan for less than I paid for the unlimited plan, that would be acceptable.

2 GB has been the same price as unlimited for nearly 2 years now. Enjoy your unlimited for the next 15 months. Then you'll be paying $30 for 2 GB whether you like it or not.

0 Likes
Vipersb1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Okay, if you say so... I tend to disagree. If Verizon gets rid of the unlimited plan all together then I guess I will take my business elsewhere. There are other wireless carriers that offer unlimited data plans, I believe. If there's not then thats fine, I will pay for limited data elsewhere just so I'm not paying the same amount of money, to the same company, for less data. It's a matter of principle and good business practices in my opinion.

Not applicable

Vipersb1 wrote:

Okay, if you say so... I tend to disagree. If Verizon gets rid of the unlimited plan all together then I guess I will take my business elsewhere. There are other wireless carriers that offer unlimited data plans, I believe. If there's not then thats fine, I will pay for limited data elsewhere just so I'm not paying the same amount of money, to the same company, for less data. It's a matter of principle and good business practices in my opinion.

No, no one offers unlimited data no matter what they say. I mean sure if unlimited 256 kbps( or worse ) data is what you are expecting then sure I guess they do.

All carrier prices data about the same, but if paying the same price for data at a different carrier out of principle floats your boat then go for it. Just do your research and read the fine print.

johnandroid
Enthusiast - Level 3

Looks like T-mobile is officially beginning their LTE roll out by the end of the month.  They're pushing firmware updates to their Galaxy Note II's that enables the LTE radio, and they have a 'big' announcement planned for the 26th.

...oh yeah, and they also have a month to month unlimited data plan with no speed throttling after you've used a certain amount of data.  Score one for the 4th place carrier of the Big Four.  I'd prefer to stay with VZW of course, but if they ever do take our unlimited plans away for good, a quick jaunt down to T-mobile is all it will take to regain the solace of not having to constantly count each byte of data we consume. 

Thanks for the $4 billion that made this all possible, by the way, AT&T.

Not applicable

johnandroid wrote:

Looks like T-mobile is officially beginning their LTE roll out by the end of the month.  They're pushing firmware updates to their Galaxy Note II's that enables the LTE radio, and they have a 'big' announcement planned for the 26th.

...oh yeah, and they also have a month to month unlimited data plan with no speed throttling after you've used a certain amount of data.  Score one for the 4th place carrier of the Big Four.  I'd prefer to stay with VZW of course, but if they ever do take our unlimited plans away for good, a quick jaunt down to T-mobile is all it will take to regain the solace of not having to constantly count each byte of data we consume. 

Thanks for the $4 billion that made this all possible, by the way, AT&T.

Yes 2 whole markets with LTE. Let's see how long that unlimited data lasts once they have it everywhere. Well since they aren't everywhere that won't happen but when they have it most everywhere they actually have service. Yes once all those that want unlimited data hop on over to T-mobile you all can enjoy your unlimited slower than molasses data. If you understood the technology you'd understand that you can't have millions of people each using hundreds of GB per month.

And frankly just like electricity and water you SHOULD be concerned about each byte you consume. Since bandwidth and spectrum are finite resources the last thing I want is for people to just waste them with apps running the background 24/7, because after all why bother to check to see if you actually turned off that app if you're on unlimited data? Hey let's stream Pandora all night while I'm asleep. Who cares if it interferes with someone else's usage. Honestly the attitude of the unlimited data users makes me glad Verizon has caps. And the sooner the end it for good the better. In fact I'd wish they'd go ahead and go instead of waiting for Verizon to end unlimited data.

0 Likes
budone
Legend

Their BIG announcement is the elimination of subsidized phones. They will now be full retail price.

Sent from my iPad

0 Likes
Not applicable

That's not really news. That's been known for awhile. I wonder how many that post here about leaving over the $30 upgrade fee have the money to pay full price for a phone?

0 Likes
johnandroid
Enthusiast - Level 3

<< Personal comments removed to comply with >>

I understand the technology better than you believe, though that doesn't even matter, being that common sense in this case, is enough to deduce the scope of what the network can handle.  The statistics of the average data usage of smartphone owners says quite a lot...keeping in mind, unlimited data plans were eliminated back in 2011, so the statistics for usage were even lower back then.  I also understand Verizon's entire marketing campaign revolves around LTE's ability to use data intensive services such as streaming video, while on the go.  To compliment it, they preload data intensive apps for streaming video, and cloud storage onto all of their phones. Just like they did before LTE, and all there was was the $30 unlimited plan.  And guess what...their network was just fine, and so were their earnings, and so was their reputation for having one of the best networks.  With the resources and technology VZW has of right now, (especially with LTE being even cheaper to deploy, and more efficient at handling the data than EVDO) and with average data usage as it is right now, Verizon can handle having an unlimited data option.  Easily.

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

scarshapedstar
Contributor - Level 1

If 4 people heavily using 4G at the same time can cripple a network, and I live in a city of 400,000 - what business does Verizon have advertising those speeds? Unlimited or not, seems like the whole thing is a house of cards.

Which raises the question - why does the network seem to work pretty well? I guess I'd better hope that 3 other people don't show up. It's a wonder that any metropolitan area has functioning cell phones at this point. I guess other countries like Finland and South Korea must have HORRIBLE cell phone service, because so many people are using wireless internet.

Not applicable

scarshapedstar wrote:

If 4 people heavily using 4G at the same time can cripple a network, and I live in a city of 400,000 - what business does Verizon have advertising those speeds? Unlimited or not, seems like the whole thing is a house of cards.

How many have Verizon? How many have 4G? Also you city only has ONE cellphone tower and they all live in the direction of 1 sector of that tower?

You can dismiss facts all you want but facts are facts.

0 Likes