Unable to download attachments via EAS on Note 3.
mrubinsk

Hi folks.

I'm having a problem with attachments on an Exchange ActiveSync account. It seems that if the account is configured to NOT download attachments automatically when connected to WiFi (or you are not connected to WiFi, but only cellular data), then it is impossible to download the attachment manually.

The attachments show up in the email, but clicking "Preview" or "Download" both result in the same error: "Unable to communicate with server".

I am a software developer, and VERY familiar with the EAS protocol. I've sniffed the traffic between the server and device both during the failed, manual download attempt and an automatically triggered download attempt. The response from the server to the client is IDENTICAL. The request is slightly different (for those playing along, the RANGE value is omitted for the automatic request, but present for the explicit request). The response is propertly formatted and correct data in both cases, but the device does not like something about the explicit request. This is regardless of attachment size or content. This works flawlessly on other devices, including stock AOSP 4.3 rom on a Galaxy Nexus device. I'm thinking this is a bug in Samsung's Email apk?

Does anybody have any ideas, any other contacts?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Unable to download attachments via EAS on Note 3.
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi mrubinsk,

Downloading attachments is very important! I understand that you are very familiar with EAS and have already done some troubleshooting in an effort to resolve the issue. I have in the past have similar issues and learned that sometimes the most basic step is the one that ultimately resolve my concerns. Have you deleted and readd your EAS account on your phone yet? If not, please give it a try. Remove account, power cycle your device and set up your account again and test. Keep us posted.

AntonioC_VZW
Follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/VZWSupport

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: Unable to download attachments via EAS on Note 3.
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi mrubinsk,

Downloading attachments is very important! I understand that you are very familiar with EAS and have already done some troubleshooting in an effort to resolve the issue. I have in the past have similar issues and learned that sometimes the most basic step is the one that ultimately resolve my concerns. Have you deleted and readd your EAS account on your phone yet? If not, please give it a try. Remove account, power cycle your device and set up your account again and test. Keep us posted.

AntonioC_VZW
Follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/VZWSupport

0 Likes