Re: UNLIMITED DATA PLANS ARE GOING AWAY COMPLETELY
redhawks1
Enthusiast - Level 2

"As they start to Migrate" is a statement of fact.  It's not "If" they migrate.  It is a mattter of "When" they migrate.  But believe what you want.  Who am I to try to change that...

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

PJNC284 wrote:

rcschnoor wrote:

redhawks1 wrote:

"We're fairly confident we'll start to see people uptick in the tiers, which is where we'll see the revenue accretion." Shammo said in a webcast of an investor conference. If people were being "forced to migrate", which is not what has been said, they wouldn't be "fairly confident", they would be "certain". I still say "wait and see".

Source:  http://news.yahoo.com/verizon-sees-revenue-increase-shared-plans-190235445--finance.html

I think what he's saying there is that people will initially start out on low tiered data plan and move up to a higher tier when they start using more data.  Not sure where his business sense comes from but he'll likely be jobless soon.  It's silly imo as this will force people to be more data conscious and use wifi rather than streaming over LTE.  Banking on people to pay more to get less isn't smart.

Yes, that MAY be what he is saying. It also MAY be that they are not going to force anyone into a Family Share data plan if they do not want. You STILL have the option of paying "per line" for texting when there is a Family Share texting plan available. No one has been forced into that. However, you are correct that they may force Family Plans with 1 phone using data into a Family Share data plan, even though their track record does not show this as a pattern per their texting plan shows.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

You are correct, an individual plan will definitely migrate to a shared data plan with himself!!!

0 Likes
Brettmc79
Enthusiast - Level 1

Also if you are on twitter or anything like that make sure you put this out there for everybody to see along with the upgrade fee.  Complaining on verizons own boards will only go so far

0 Likes
BadOPCode

I'm willing to try that.   They need to slow and throttle as necessary their network speeds and remove the usage policies.  What they are trying to accomplish with bandwidth usage caps is just not going to work.  I've seen it time and time again.  It's the concept that you can restrict high speeds on a car and eliminating the risks of collisions by restricting how much gas your allowed to put in the tank.  It just won't work.   Which is really a problem?  A customer streaming a video at 256KBps and can quickly go over a usage cap from watching a lot of movies but the bandwidth used is always the same 256KBps or the freaks downloading a couple of pirated DVD's a month hitting the network in shorter stretches at 7MBps using unthrottled bit torrents.  The pirated DVD's are going to stay within the usage limits but are going to make life miserable for everyone else on the network.   It doesn't take many people at all shotgunning bit torrents at 5GB per month to pretty much keep the network in a state of wrecked.

Really as consumers we need to get a wake up call.  The advertisements and the pretty big numbers that ISP's are flashing at us isn't real.  They don't have the services they are promising in marketing.  We need to get a little more grounded and we need to try to get the big mega-corp ISP's to throttle down client connections to match what they really have for uplink backbones and pitch the usage caps.   And honestly... if the ISP's were delivering to us what they're making us believe the service is, most of us would be happy with a T1 speed of 1.5Mbps.   For the majority of people the T1 would end up being a lot faster than their oversold bandwidth Comcast pooled network with their theoretical max speeds of 105Mbps.    This one-up your competitor's speed game has been a disaster for us the consumers.

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

we can thank everyone who has been BEGGING for shared data plans for years now. they are getting what they want. this blows for me because i have 3 lines but only one with data (unlimited)......but i can see where it will benefit families with 4 or 5 lines on one plan, who all use smartphones. i'm guessing verizon will start seeing A LOT more friends or families start sharing plans. depending on the pricing and tiers, i'll be calling my mom, brother, and sister to see if they just want to let their contracts expire and hop on my plan. i suspect that while we will be limited to XX gigs of data, verizon would get less $ out of one plan of mine (adding the 3 of them) than they get from our 4 separate plans right now.

0 Likes
fred4418
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well it looks like I along with a ton of other people will be leaving Verizon when they take my unlimited data away. This is no way to treat their longtime loyal customers.

pro7gr
Enthusiast - Level 1

30 -  Dollars a month I pay for unlimited data
10 -  Years as a customer of Verizon
0   -  Seconds it will take me to switch carriers if they take this from me

No loyal customer or early adopter goes unpunished.

fred4418
Enthusiast - Level 2

Don't get used to the unlimited / no throttling on the Sprint network. I can just about guarantee once they suck in all these Verizon customers that will go away. My plan is just to get rid of my cell phone completely. Maybe once all these companies start losing more and more of their customers they will re-think their business decisions.

0 Likes
amalashock

Can someone answer this question?

If my current contract already has unlimited 4G service are they still going to take it away?  I don't have to upgrade or change any terms to my existing contract.  It seems that they legally can't make any changes to my existing contract.  So as long as I don't change anything or upgrade I should be able to keep my unlimited data, correct?

0 Likes