Re: UNLIMITED DATA PLANS ARE GOING AWAY COMPLETELY
SFStarstuff
Enthusiast - Level 2

LOL!!  That's 21st-century-ese for "We don't care, we don't have to. We're the phone company."

rcschnoor
Legend

Toyota4x4van wrote:

rcschnoor wrote:

It would be my guess if you are on an individual plan, you will be able to keep your unlimited data since you have no one with whom to share the data.

Your "guess" is wrong.  Why guess when the information is already out there?  Verizon has made it clear that all unlimited data plans are going away, not just on family plans.

While I agree that shared family data plans might be cheaper for some depending on their actual use, the reality is that many of us are losing, since our data will be capped. 

On my individual plan, I have unlimited data for $30, and currently average about 2.5GB per month.  Is a tiered plan for that level going to be cheaper?  No way, and it will be limited besides.  On my family plan, I currently pay $100 for data; 2 unlimited (each uses about 2.5GB), one 2GB (uses about 1GB), one 75MB (uses none; data plan was forced on the line because it is a "feature" phone, more bull****).  So no matter what the "configuration" of a shared data plan, I will be losing, since those first 2 lines will no longer have unlimmited data.  Out of the 4 lines on my family plan, we average about 6 GB per month total.  What do you really think that Verizon's shared tiered data plans are going to look like?  Will it be a savings for me?  Based on Verizon's actions over the past 2 years, I would bet against that.

My mistake, I wasn't aware you were in on determining the pricing structure. My apologies.

0 Likes
redhawks1
Enthusiast - Level 2

He used the phrase "They'll have to"...here, I will paste it again for you.

"As they start to migrate they'll have to come off unlimited and go to the shared data plan,"

So what..you can keep your current smart phone until it is longer supported....and then what????  Migrate...exactly!

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

rcschnoor wrote:

redhawks1 wrote:

"We're fairly confident we'll start to see people uptick in the tiers, which is where we'll see the revenue accretion." Shammo said in a webcast of an investor conference. If people were being "forced to migrate", which is not what has been said, they wouldn't be "fairly confident", they would be "certain". I still say "wait and see".

Source:  http://news.yahoo.com/verizon-sees-revenue-increase-shared-plans-190235445--finance.html

I think what he's saying there is that people will initially start out on low tiered data plan and move up to a higher tier when they start using more data.  Not sure where his business sense comes from but he'll likely be jobless soon.  It's silly imo as this will force people to be more data conscious and use wifi rather than streaming over LTE.  Banking on people to pay more to get less isn't smart.

Brettmc79
Enthusiast - Level 1

I think its going to be time to start looking at the diff wireless providers out there.  Been with verizon for along time and all I see is them charging more fee's and screwing us over in more and more ways.

Rider
Enthusiast - Level 3

VZW is operating like a drug pusher!  The first taste is "free" but the next hit will COST you!!

PJNC284
Master - Level 2

Rider wrote:

VZW is operating like a drug pusher!  The first taste is "free" but the next hit will COST you!!

yup and you have to love how they're pushing all this HD streaming trying to sucker people in.

0 Likes
blazingpheonix17

yeah that sucks for me because i use about ten gig a month because i leave out in the middle of nowhere that verizon covers. I also pay extra for the hotspot feature on my phone so i can do that but now i have come up to a work around and it may be a little more expensive but what you can do is just save up for a phone and get a unlocked version of a cell phone and then just switch devices. That way you can keep the unlimited data because you would not be technically upgrading with verizon so you would not technically lose it and you will not be renewing the contract with verizon

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

redhawks1 wrote:

He used the phrase "They'll have to"...here, I will paste it again for you.

"As they start to migrate they'll have to come off unlimited and go to the shared data plan,"

So what..you can keep your current smart phone until it is longer supported....and then what????  Migrate...exactly!

Just because you are going to migrate to a new phone does not mean you are migrating to a shared data plan which is what this change is all about.

How is a person on an individual plan going to migrate to a "shared data plan"? He's not... exactly!

Even on a Family Plan, you can still pay per line for texting if you so choose. You are not forced into a Family texting plan, but you can "choose" to "migrate" to one if you prefer.

Yes, some will "choose" to migrate which is what the "As they start to migrate..." means. This does not mean that "all" will "choose" to migrate. No where does he say "As we force them to migrate..."

As I said before, we will see when the plans are actually announced. Making assumptions about something which has not been explained does not make those assumptions correct. We will see when it is announced. It may be as you say, it may not be as you say.

0 Likes
Brettmc79
Enthusiast - Level 1

I've been with them in Florida from back in the Primeco days when they bought them out.  Now they have the attitude of we already have you and so you are screwed.  First the $30 "upgrade" fee so they can better develop their garbage ware for their phones and now this.  All I see is them making more and more money each year and then charging us more and more money each year.  Feels more and more like we are dealing with the major gas companies like exxon and bp where they know they have you by the balls.

0 Likes