To everyone having coverage issues, are you on unlimited data?
Dresden
Enthusiast - Level 3

Verizon refuses to help people who keep having coverage issues in high coverage areas.  You'll get a bit of lip service from the support bots on this site, but if you're expecting real help, forgetaboutit.

I've been seeing A LOT of topics about people having coverage issues.  I've seen a few people who claim their coverage is just fine.  This got me to wondering - could it be intentional?  Could Verizon be targeting customers whose plans are still on Unlimited data in attempts to get them to go away?

If you're having coverage issues where you know you shouldn't be having them, post here and let me know if you're on Unlimited data.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: To everyone having coverage issues, are you on unlimited data?
tnsirmans

I have service issues on my LG G2, KitKat 4.4.  This has been going on since my phone took the update several months ago.  I am the primary line and the only line with unlimited data.  I am curious about this.  Although, my troubles started as soon as Verizon sent the KitKat update.  I have had many phones, including this one(pre kitkit) and NEVER had signal issues, cellular or data.  Now, I can not talk on the phone in my house and hardly ever have a data connection other than WIFI.  I have done a factory reset numerous times, you know, because that is a fix all according to Verizon....A few months ago, I had a Verizon rep call to talk about there share everything plans.  I immediately told him I was satisfied with my current plan and hung up.  The coverage is fine in most places, so I'm inclined to think it is my phone, specifically the radio that was updated causing my problem at home.  I do find your question interesting and would not put it past Verizon.  I refuse to pay more money for less data.  I unfortunately have a line still under contract or else I would be moving on because Verizon seems to only care about one thing, and it is not there customers.  My wife has the same phone, but her line was added on when they offered double the data for $30.  She doesn't seem to have the issues here at our house like I do.  So, that could lead me to believe you could be on to something.  What ever the problem, I'm sure Verizon will take care of it........right????  Oh wait, forgot who I was talking about.

0 Likes
Dresden
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yeah, I started noticing the issue right after the 4.4.2 update as well.  Apparently, though, Verizon changed things in their network around the same time.  Making a network change at the same time as a major OS update was either the result of a moronic planner, or a devious one.  It makes it impossible to know if it's the software or the network, and fingers can be pointed in either direction.  I just find it strange that some people claim they aren't having issues when so many people are.  Verizon was caught secretly throttling high bandwidth users in the past, so we know they have the capacity to adversely impact subsets of users based on how "ideal" of a customer they are.

The main reason I think this is a Verizon thing and not a KitKat thing is because it's possible to flash the old modem firmware on your phone.  I have tried the last 4 firmwares that were pre-4.4.2 and all of them have the same terrible coverage.  The only thing I haven't done is flashed my phone back to Jellybean to verify.  I may do so, soon, though.

As far as your contract goes, T-Mobile will pay your early cancellation fees.  I'm probably going to do that in the next week or so because they've had months to address this issue and refuse to do so.

0 Likes
tnsirmans

I did reflash my phone back to JellyBean.  The issues went away for me.  The only problem is eventually the phone starts pushing for you to take the KitKat OTA.  Everytime you wake the device, you have to dismiss the notification.  I will look into T-Mobile.  In my area, Verizon has always been the preferred carrier for coverage.  Hopefully they have increased their around here.  Thanks for the tip.

0 Likes
tbo27
Master - Level 2
0 Likes
CoreyMichael

I just became a new Verizon subscriber does verizon offer unlimited data to new subscribers?

0 Likes
tbo27
Master - Level 2

No they don't. Tiered data is the money maker

0 Likes
Not applicable

CoreyMichael wrote:I just became a new Verizon subscriber does verizon offer unlimited data to new subscribers?

Verizon stopped offering unlimited data July 2011. As far as the conspiracy theorists go. First of all nothing to do with kit kat or throttling. Second if Verizon did offer unlimited data all you unlimited data lover would complain about slow your service suddenly got. Because guess what when you got everyone trying to use hundreds of GB a month you're going to congest the network. FACT.

No here's MY theory. Verizon has been rolling out XLTE which uses AWS spectrum. AWS does not propagate as far and has much greater issues penetrating building and through tress and object and such. So an AWS signal is not going to be as strong as the old 700 MHz signal. Now I'm not sure if XLTE phones default to AWS first to switches when 700 MHz gets crowded. In either case unless you change the laws of physics it is what it is. At least until Verizon uses any 600 MHz it wins at auction next year. If it wins any.

0 Likes
jjvs

I would ask that everyone on unlimited data file a complaint with the FCC about the "Network Optimization" plan.  What you would file the complaint about is NOT that they will be Network optimizing you BUT that you are being singled out because of the amount of money you pay, not the amount of data you consume.

The reason is because if you will pay the $750/month the will let you step all over everyone else without being throttled for up to 100gig/month, but it you pay for UNLIMITED data you are throttled after 5 GB per month.  Here is the link.

File Complaint | FCC.gov

0 Likes
stef7
Master - Level 2

Interesting. My theory was that there were low level radio hardware differences that caused compatibility issues between the radio, the firmware, and the OS update for some owners... But the network and the frequencies used... the market people are in... hmmmm

0 Likes