Texting on HTC U11
paulspound
Enthusiast - Level 2

So I've noticed that whenever someone sends me a text over 160 characters, part of the message is missing. I'm getting about the first 140 characters, lose 14, then the rest. I've had to ask for the missing parts and it's not exactly fun.

Along with super poor data speeds (lucky if I get above 3 Mbps but it usually is below 1 Mbps) and losing signal every once in a while, I'm not impressed with Verizon. I left Sprint after 15 years for this? (I originally went with Sprint because a Verizon Engineer told me to not use Verizon!) I would get well over 30 Mbps and at one time, 50+Mbps on Sprint. Verizon isn't the best network. I only switched because I had very poor phone reception in my house (but 150+ Mbps Wi-Fi) and my wife was with Verizon. I may have to look at T-Mobile or (gag) AT&T and take my unlocked phone that I paid cash for to someone who allows us to use the phone to it's full potential instead of that poor quality Samsung junk.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Texting on HTC U11
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Having great service is a must, paulspound. We certainly want to help you with the texting and data for your phone. Typically, it is best to contact us at 800-922-0204 so we can address everything for you all at once during one call. We are more than happy to help you here online, but keep in mind there is a delay in our responses here.

Let's address the text messaging first on your phone. Have you tried using a different Messaging app? Do you have issues sending messages that are large like the ones you described?

StevenG_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
paulspound
Enthusiast - Level 2

Being a software developer, I started doing tests and setting up cases of what could cause this.

My findings were as follows:

- Didn't matter which app I used, I got the same results. I created a 300+ character text and sent it to a few people asking them to send it back to me.

- Person #1 has an LG (G3 I believe) and is on Sprint. Parts of the message were missing.

- Person #2 has an LG (G6) and is on Verizon. I got the entire message.

- Person #3 has a iPhone on T-Mobile. I didn't get the entire message.

- Person #4 has HTC U11 on Verizon. I got the entire message.

- Had Person 3 send it to Person 2. Person 2 got it in 3 parts, out of order, and DID NOT get the entire message.

- I also had Person 3 send it to Person 2. Person 2 got the entire message broken up into 3 parts.

Summary:

- If someone NOT ON Verizon sent me (or Person 4) the text, we got the first 140 +/- characters, missed the next 16+/- then the next 140 and so on until the entire message arrived.

- If someone ON Verizon sent me the text, I got the entire message.

- If someone ON Verizon received the text and NOT on the HTC U11, they got all of it.

- If someone ON Verizon received the text and USES the HTC U11, parts were missing.

- If the text was MMS instead of SMS, I got all of it no matter who it came from.

- The receiver of the text from me, whether on or off Verizon, got the entire message.

My conclusion, when a SMS comes from someone NOT on Verizon to the HTC U11 phone and it's 160+ characters, Verizon doesn't parse it correctly and forward it to the phone. Yet when I send it, they get all of it. So it sounds like it's a Verizon/HTC U11 sms reception issue. Maybe related to the Verizon shutting off Bands 2 and 4 and only allowing the phone to connect to Band 13? You tell me. It's the only conclusion I can draw.

paulspound
Enthusiast - Level 2

Need to edit one bullet item.

It reads: - Had Person 3 send it to Person 2. Person 2 got it in 3 parts, out of order, and DID NOT get the entire message.

Should be: - Had Person 3 send it to Person 4. Person 4 got it in 3 parts, out of order, and DID NOT get the entire message.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Paulspound, we truly appreciate all of your efforts in this matter. We understand how important it is to have all the functions work correctly on our devices. Allow us to further investigate the details. Can you please clarify when this concern for your text messages started? With the test you have run, with different phone types and carriers, can you let us know the environment you were in (indoors, outdoors)? Or does this seem to happen in both types of areas?

SylviaT_VZW

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
paulspound
Enthusiast - Level 2

I received the phone on August 9th. It wasn't long after that when I noticed a text came through in two parts and didn't make sense. I don't get a lot of 161+ character texts. I thought it was a fluke but I noticed it more and more so I knew something was wrong. I tried a different app. That didn't fix it. So I sent this message out on September 13th to confirm. I don't remember if I was out door or indoors. Probably a mixture of both. I've been out and about when they've come in.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

paulspound, you've really done a lot of testing and we truly appreciate it! It does seem odd that it's happening mostly with those off of the VZW network. Although I've had this happen on my phone when a friend on AT&T sends me a message. Let's see, you've said you tried multiple messaging apps and that didn't fix it. Do you have a date and a time of when this happened? We can try to take a look at the records to see how things are routing. Please let us know.

ErinW_VZW

If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
paulspound
Enthusiast - Level 2

September 13, 2017 around 11:07 AM. It's when someone not on Verizon sends to someone on Verizon with the HTC U11. That's the only situation where it happens.

So I don't believe it's carrier to carrier. Nor from another carrier to Verizon. Just how Verizon is supporting the HTC U11.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

@paulspound

Thanks for keeping me posted. I would like to take a closer look into this texting issue for you. So that I may, I sent you a Direct Message. I look forward to further assisting you in Direct Message.

AnthonyTa_VZW

If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
DREWAMG
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm having the same exact issue. Been calling verizon for over a month. can't even get a sim card sent to me. as other sites have suggested sim card or turning off cdma-less provisioning. can't get that off either.

0 Likes