Sudden poor data coverage in 53703 area?
quark314

I used to have really good coverage in my area, around the 53703 and 53706 zip codes, with 4g almost everywhere outside and even many places indoors at my home and work.  During the past few weeks or so, my data coverage has become almost non-existant, including outdoors, even in the exact same locations where I used to have perfectly fine coverage.  My voice coverage is still sort of ok, though significantly less good than before (I used to get full bars inside my apartment and was able to make long clear voice calls with no drops, but now I usually have to go outside just to send a text, and even then, I sometimes have to walk a block away to find even a voice signal).  I frequently have absolutely no data connection in locations where until just a few weeks ago I always had at least a couple bars of 4g signal.  Data over wifi works fine, and on the rare occasion that I find a tiny pocket of 3g or 4g coverage, the phone behaves normally and is able to get emails/internet/etc normally. 

I haven't changed any phone settings or installed any new apps lately, and I haven't dropped or otherwise damaged my phone.  The phone (Motorola droid mini with Android 4.4.4) is less than a year old.  Could the antenna be going bad already?  Has Verizon removed or otherwise altered any of the towers in this area in such a way that coverage would drop so drastically?  This area shows solid 4g coverage on Verizon's coverage map.  How can I figure out if it's a problem with my phone or a problem with the network?  And in either case, what can I do to correct the problem or who can I contact about it?  Thanks. 

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Sudden poor data coverage in 53703 area?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Quark314, sudden changes in service would have me just as concerned. We can help review your area, and device settings.

I was able to review your zip, and all looks clear. However, I understand you are experiencing issues there. By chance, do you know if friends and family that have VZW also experience the same when visiting you at your apartment?

Just in case, if you go to Settings>More>Mobile Network>What is your preferred network type connection?

Also, under Global Data Roaming Access> are you set to allow access on all trips?

NicandroN_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
quark314

Hi, thanks for your response. Unfortunately my family doesn't live nearby

and most of my friends don't have Verizon. I can try asking around at

work, but it may be difficult for me to figure out if others in my area are

having issues recently with Verizon coverage.

In my settings, my preferred network type connection is "Global", as it has

always been. I have data roaming "allowed for all trips".

Under Network type and strength, I'm getting (at this particular moment,

inside my apartment) -101 dBm for 1x and -110 dBm for 4g. I know you don't

guarantee coverage indoors for obvious reasons, but these numbers are

significantly lower than what I used to get sitting in the exact same spot

(or anywhere else in my unit). At that reception level, I don't have any

actual data connection (can't load emails or web pages) if I turn off my

wifi and try to get data over the cell network.

Any thoughts?

On Sun, Aug 9, 2015 at 9:30 AM, Verizon Wireless Customer Support <

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Appreciate you getting back to us. quark314. Yes, that signal strength is certainly on the weak end. Let's make an adjustment to see if it may help. Thank you for checking the settings. For testing purposes, is there a change in reception if you switch out to LTE/CDMA versus Global?

Regarding possible reasons for the weaker service reception, I see that your zip is between between two lakes. There are a few towers servicing that area, but there is an area where some customers may be between two towers and service may be weakest in that spot.

There are also likely additional local factors, outside of the bodies of water around 53703, affecting service too. Something may have changed recently too. Has a ticket been filed for you, to have your area reviewed?

NicandroN_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
quark314

Hi, thanks again for your response. It seems to have been a problem with

my phone. I had tried restarting it a few times since the signal problems

started, with no improvement. But yesterday afternoon it crashed and

turned itself off; when I turned it back on after the crash, the 4G signal

was back to the usual level. Hopefully it continues to work.

On Sun, Aug 9, 2015 at 12:12 PM, Verizon Wireless Customer Support <

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
quark314,

We are glad to hear that the signal came back. Please keep us posted if you notice any changes or need any further assistance. We are always here for you!

ChristinaM_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes