Skype For Verizon App - Android.
Expat

Hi There,

I have been searching for this answer from the net to no avail including searching here and skypes forums.

Can anyone tell me now that skype for Verizon has been discontinued on the 24th April is everyone now unable to sign in to this app?

I have tried and continue to get the error message 'Couldn't connect to Skype' 

Will be a shame if this is the case as the normal skype app for android is nigh on impossible to make a call on.

Thanks in advance.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Skype For Verizon App - Android.
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Have you tried to download the regular Skype app?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

Expat
Hi Ann,

I do have the regular skype installed on my cell but the app itself is nigh on useless for making calls to landlines overseas (I have a skype subscription), this with both a full wi-fi connection and strong 3g

The Verizon skype was very good in this instance and I hardly had any issues with connections so it would be a pain if we were no longer able to login to the verizon version.

I know the verizon skype app was discontinued on 24th April but was wondering if this also meant you would not be able to login anymore in addition.

Thanks

0 Likes
I_dRatherSpeakWithAHu
Enthusiast - Level 3

Using my Galaxy S3, I continue to trade Skype messages and have conducted one video conference, I believe on April 24. Perhaps I should try again.

0 Likes
I_dRatherSpeakWithAHu
Enthusiast - Level 3

I don't understand the loss, if there was one.  There is a full page of Skype for Android applications here,

skype for android - Android Apps on Google Play

and another here,

Download Skype for Mobile - Windows Phone, Android, iPhone & Blackberry

What's the commotion about?

0 Likes
I_dRatherSpeakWithAHu
Enthusiast - Level 3

I find the quality of service provided by these apps to be just as good as the regular service, for international as well as domestic service. And as a Premium Skype customer, I can conduct multi-person videoconferences on my phone.  The one place the Skype for Android app falls down is handling contacts data and other such niceties.

NOTE:  Verizon censors the transmission of my cellphone number when I engage in Skype texting via my Mac, which always confuses customers. This forces me to use my cellphone for texting, or append in my signature my cellphone number.  As I prefer my Mac for longer texts -- it's easier to type on my Mac keyboard than on my Galaxy keyboard -- I put my phone number in the text message.

(I'm sure Verizon, unremitting in its ambition to wipe out the competition, will eventually find a way to confound this practice, also.  But so far, not yet.)

0 Likes
Expat

Hi Mate,

I do have that version as I stated in my message.

It is pretty much useless for calling overseas numbers as there are frequent drops on both a full strength wi-fi and 3G,

I haven't tried a skype to skype call as all the contacts I use for this app are overseas landlines, I have a skype subscription that allows me to do this.

The Verizon Skype app was perfect for calling overseas landline numbers all be it on 3G only and it rarely dropped coverage.

So,

Again, all want to find out is if anyone past 24th April has been able to sign into the verizon skype mobile app.

Cheers

0 Likes
Chris3035

Has anyone figured out how to get the skype mobile working yet? The skype mobile app came preloaded on my phone weather i wanted it on there or not so i expect the app to to work when and if i decide to use it especially since it was a selling point the sales guy used to get me to buy the phone as it was only for verizon customers yada yada yada

I do not have the storage on my phone to install another skype onto my less than 2 year old phone.

Is there a way to delete the preloaded app then i would not complain about adding another

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

The reason the app no longer works is because the service was ceased.  The app won't connect to Verizon's server because it no longer exists.  If the app was preloaded, the best you can do is disabled it.  It no longer comes on phones on later versions of Android OS such as JB and through KK and LP.

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

the skype app is 18 mb's. you don't have 18 mb's available?

0 Likes